1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It ends up that I did not have a good battery

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    True peace and quiet is Galactic silence.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :huh: Now you're just trying to provoke me. Not gonna work. You see, my computer stayed at work last night. So excuse me for not responding IMMEDIATELY.
    Again, take your own advice, man.

I was joking, as indicated by the smiley/rolling eyes guy, about those orange cables.

I'm through with this... <_<

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LAST POST: Technician performed a load test on 12 volt, it failed and Battery was replaced. Voltage now reads identical at both access points. 12.87 Volts. A lot of inconvenience could have been saved had the Technician done the load test the first time I bought the car in. Should you not be knowledgeable as to Battery access points, not be familiar with using a voltmeter or not be able to understand simple English as in Galaxees case, please ignore this entire thread and let your very intelligent car take care of everything.. All Technicians are not incompetent, only a small portion are. Not knowing Galaxees husband I cannot say one way or another what his level of competance is. But also I would not strike out and get up tight because somebody had put the word Technician in quotation marks. This particular Technician that checked the Battery was incompetent as the Tech writer had followed my instruction and wrote battery problems and the Voltage differentials. Nor would I critisize a Tech writer, they only write what you tell them.

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    okay. the rule here is no personal attacks. :angry: you wanna start talking that way, take it elsewhere. that is beyond childish. i'm going to be the bigger person and walk away now, rather than giving you the satisfaction.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Galaxee,
    I think you've taken your heroic defense of the garage techs a step or two too far here. You've taken it to the point of insulting anyone who dares be at all critical or questioning of what they're told. It's almost the patronizing "sit down and shut up" kinda thing the service writers do.

I may not have had all the classes the service techs do, and I don't have any of the hands on experience they do. But that doesn't make me stupid. I have a hint of technical knowledge having spent at least a little time almost every day for over 2 1/2 years learning about and talking about the Prius. Others here have far more advanced technical skills as regards various aspects of Prius than probably any tech out there.

We can and SHOULD call into question the things we're being told that don't jive with our personal experience. If you went in to the doctor and he/she told you the best medicine for the Flu was Penicillin because it kills bad bugs would you passively go home and take your medicine. Heck no. You may not be a doctor but you know a bit about medicine, enough to question when information you're given doesn't make sense. You may not be sure whether a)the diagnosis is right and the treament is wrong, b)the diagnosis is right and the treatment is wrong, or c)both the diagnosis and treatment are wrong. But you know enough to know that they are not both right.

Andy made some very careful measurements, presented his problem, recognized that the diagnosis and treatment given didn't seem correct. It's his 'duty', IMO, to call that into question.

Blindly defending the Prius Tech is just as bad as blindly/inappropriately insulting them.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And yes, both of you, no personal attacks.

8. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that we should question things that we don't understand. At the same time, I see quite a bit of service tech-bashing that has no basis. Yes, Galaxee's response was a bit harsh, but I can understand her motivation.

I value the input from others, and the information that we share. I learn a lot here at PriusChat. We can (and often do) disagree with each other, but hopefully we will continue to respect each other as well.

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thankyou all for your inputs, Andy

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I could very well see Andy's problem and agree, Galaxy did jump down Andy's throat a bit too quickly. Gee, hate to see her reactions to some of the critics we have in PriusOnline.

Anyway, I might not have suspected a bad battery but rather bad battery connections. A bad battery would mean the output at the battery itself would be low. Even if it were due to high internal resistance, at the battery terminals you would be on the outside of said resistance, reading low.
    With the car off, there would be a very low load on the battery, say 30mA max for a short while, then would drop down. That's assuming the brake pump has done its thing, and all lights are off. At 30mA, to read 3 volts from front to back would mean 100 ohms between the two sample points. A digital multimeter draws negligible current to consider it non-existent.

I suspect that when they replaced the battery, they may have fixed the connecting points, including the grounding points as well.

Another point that was never referenced: the DC/DC converter output. I usually see 14V when that's running.

By the way, the car has its own voltmeter in the AVC diagnostic screen.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    -ay ay ay, i get it, i was being overly sarcastic. i try to restrain that inner voice but sometimes it gets the best of me.

-bad battery connections make the car do some rather interesting things. like re-start the ice after you shut the car down and walk away from the car. :blink: there was one of those in the shop recently that the guys were all going through wiring diagrams and talking to tech assist and replacing various ecus and ground points and generally tearing their hair out over for a week or so until someone checked 12v battery cables.

-very well could be.

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great Info Dan. The AVC Diagnostic screen?? is thes a special device, or accesible on MFD ? 14 VDC when running, that's what I was looking, which makes it comparable to most cars.

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Peace abides in the Galaxee once more.

14. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Recall gone bad... the tech just fried my Prius. I'm now driving a Corolla for the next two weeks. :(

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oops, and I mean a BIG oops, on their part.

It appears most of the issue behind the "fried" ECU has to do with a bug in the current THHT software release. A quick fix is to rollback to the previous version.

Sorry to hear about your Prius. There are worse loaner cars to drive, like the Dodge Neon.

16. heliotropehead

I agree. There are worse cars to drive, but I've been spoiled with my Prius. I miss it. :(

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I can only hope they quicklyy fix your Prius and you can get back to driving it.

I also hope things are working out for you in Texas.

18. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

So your telling us that the 12 volt battery was only registering on your DVM 9 volts when disconnected, is that correct? if that's the case the Dumb tech that was working on your car doesn't deserve anymore of your money. Get a new dealer with a service dept stocked with real people that have a brain and can use it. The current one has an IQ lower than room temp.

19. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Voltage measured across an open circuit definitely is NOT zero. Current measured THROUGH an open circuit is zero. A 3v drop across a cable would indicate there is at least some current running through the cable and the cable has a relatively large resistance. The voltage drop is equal to the resistance times the current. If you are pulling 1A then a 3 ohm resistance would cause a 3V drop. If the car is "off" and you are measuring with a multimeter, you're pulling only a few milliamps and the voltage drop of 3V would be very worrisome.

I'm not a car mechanic, so I don't know what the "off" current draw should be in a Prius (but more than a few milliamps would drain the accessory battery over a long period of time). I am an electircal engineer, though, so I understand this voltage and current stuff.

20. heliotropehead

:) Thank you. Texas is great and would be absolutely perfect if traffic weren't an issue and my family and friends were there with me. My Prius being fried just gives me one more reason to come back to New Orleans in a couple of weeks for another visit.