1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Reply to: Barnhart and Frank Hudon. As you both probably well know, the car jumper access point should be either one or two direct wires from the battery, basically reading voltage potential across the 12 volt battery. I called it an open circuit, meaning there was no load in between. Technically it is a closed circuit with the battery itself representing any load. As it was Toyota replaced the battery after a failed load test. Now, the voltage reading is identical at the front of the car as well as at trunk area. As it should be. Also charging system appears to be working as Battery had almost 13VDC on it after a trip. Toyota claimed not to have done anything but change the battery so I don't understand why I read a fairly consistent 3 volt differential at the front access point with the faulty battery ( a mystery)

2. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Took the car in for a 2 hour update...they called to tell me that my battery registered 11.3 volts. and many hours later I called and I suggested that they substitute another battery from their stock of overpriced batteries...and, low and behold, it too registered 11.3 volts.

I asked if they used a volt meter? They did not.

I asked what they used, they used a scan tool...they told me that there may be something wrong with the scan tool, but they need to call Toyota....

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting, keep us posted.

4. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

will do...by the way...called toyota directly on friday...asked if they would comp a new battery...car has 45k on odo....they read the warranty to me..i explained that the car is only 18 months old and a battery's life is age as opposed to use related...they read the warranty to me....I explained that i can read and I suggested that i knew a little bit about warranties (i'm an attorney)....they read the warranty to me again.....

I can see it now, toyota is practicing to be the new GM.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

well on the 2k4 the charging system sets the voltage at 13.8 volts according to 3 DVM that I own. And it really is a mystery why the voltage was 3 volts lower on the jump termial in the relay box under the hood. That's a head scratcher for sure. Thanks for the update.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been inadvertenly keeping threads going on the AB (aux bat} I personally think it has problems. I had to have mine changed after 20K. After only 18 months there should be a battery prorated warantee. Ask Toyota. I plan on going to another battery after my warantee period is up. There are many post discussing the 12VDC AB . And replacement to another type is also posted.. Use search to find

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I forhot, owner access to diagnostics is easy, use search, it will give you SOC in Acc mode and in ready mode, a charge should show to about 14VDC

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    DANMAN: Thanks for that tip on the diagnostics, I have been using it alot. One can monitor the charging situation driving or parked and in Acc mode monitor the discharge rate. ( which should be infinitesimal).

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wish they had spellcheck again: INFINITESIMAL

10. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

They finished the recall..the battery was fine, the problem (they say) was with the scan tool.

I'm beginning to believe that this car was designed by genuises to be maintained by imbeciles....these dopes had the car for three days and never noticed that the rear tire has 10 psi...it had a slow leak and I noticed it when I filled tank down the block from the dealer.