1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SSC 90L Pedal Modification

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bear68, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Bear68

Bear68 Member

No worries David!:D BTW Pat, all weather floor mats are now available in a redesigned type, they can only be ordered 2 sets a day so be prepared to order them and make a second trip to pick them up. The replacement pedals will be by the same manufacturer. CTS pedals for CTS and Denso for Denso.

3 people like this.
  2. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Quick update here.... Redesigned Prius pedals are not yet available. My parts department shows that the old part number does not have a supersession yet and is listed as "not for dealer sales". In other words, if a customer needs a new pedal, even unrelated to the recalls, they cannot get one. The new pedals will be coming, just be patient.

Also, you may experience some resistance to getting a new pedal. The dealers may tell you that the recall must be performed first and THEN if you do not like the pedal feel, you can request a new one. This is actually the proper procedure that Toyota has established. Even though it seems like a waste of time and effort, jumping through the hops may be required.

I got a couple of pics with my cell today of a pedal before and after cutting and will post them as soon as my cell gets them transferred to the web (taking forever). I will be out of work starting Wed for a few weeks due to an upcoming shoulder surgery (torn rotator cuff from a motorcycle crash) but I will remain active here on the forums...

4 people like this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bear,

Very sorry to hear about your accident. Good luck during your surgery, and my very best wishes to you for a prompt recovery! :rockon:

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sorry to hear the bad news and wish you recover soon. Take care. :)

5. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Had the recall done on my Avalon. You can tell that the peddle has been cut off, but the bump on the back is still intact. Overall, it doesn't look that bad and the "feel" is the same as before.

6. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Prius pedal pics!!
    [​IMG]
    Before cutting.....

[​IMG]
    After cutting and sanding...

[​IMG]
    The raw surface...

[​IMG]

After finishing with some FIPG for color...

[​IMG]

And reinstalled back in the car..... Please feel free to offer opinions.... I am rather thick skinned:D... However, in my honest opinion, this is NOT one of Toyota's finest hours.... This repair seems slightly...... ummmm Mickey Mouse?

4 people like this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but that is better than the use of nylon ties to secure the floor mats. I thought that was totally a half-a__ approach.

I don't feel a great urgency to have the accelerator pedals on my two Prius cut, as the tech doing the job may not be as careful as you.

8. Bear68

Bear68 Member

HA HA!! Yeah.... didn't ya just LOVE the idea of punching holes in floormats and zipstripping them to the seat frame!!! We flat out refused to do that. Instead we removed the mats to the trunk and waited for a slightly better fix... Cutting the pedals does do the job.... But it does take a bit of practice and a steady hand to keep them looking nice.:rolleyes:

9. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Bear.......thanks for posting the pics. That pretty much seals my decision on what I will do. I am pushing for the factory redesigned pedal. I agree with you that the fix looks rather Mickey Mouse!!

Thanks again....

10. Bear68

Bear68 Member

My pleasure Patrick and Nascrlvr, I tried to use cell phone pics and didn't get the quality I wanted. Switched to my Canon and yeah baby! should have remembered the old mechanics rule "the right tool for the job".......

1 person likes this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was just about to post a comment that those were great photos especially for a cellphone... :cool:

12. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bear68, thanks for all your information. I had not considered the recall fix seriously since I still have the original 2005 floor mats with no problems in 55K miles. Now with your discussion and photos, I see no reason to have it done, or even install the new pedal if it ever becomes available. Thanks again.

13. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This seems like a repair that might be acceptable on my GF's motorhome where most of the fabrication is on the level of someone working in their backyard, but it seems out of place on the Prius.

I suppose it is practical, so that would fit in with the Toyota way, but it isn't very aesthetically pleasing.

14. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    While I don't plan on rushing out to have the change made, I don't think it looks as bad as some are making it out to me. If you didn't know what the pedal looked like originally, I do not know if you would notice the difference.

15. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bear68: Much thanks for taking the time to post the photos!

While I don't think it looks that bad (when done right), it's not something I plan to have done to my car. I consider it a rather half-baked solution to a problem that only exists with incorrect floor mats being installed and unsecured. Keeping in mind the following from Toyota...

"The shape of the accelerator pedal will be reconfigured to address the risk of floor mat entrapment" - Being that it's physically impossible for my correct and properly secured mat to magically move anywhere near the pedal, I see no reason to "fix" something that doesn't need fixing.

I'd take a new pedal assembly, but I'm not having some boyscout at the dealership whittle on my pedal.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Too bad Bear did not take a few more photos showing how he cut the pedal down and sanded it. That might become the basis for an interesting video like the one Toyota produced, showing how the metal shim was inserted into the accelerator pedal of other Toyota models.

17. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know why but that mod reminds of that pic -->

[​IMG]

Of course it works in both cases but it's also really ugly :( :(

thanks for the information, now I'm certain that I will NOT go to my dealer !!

18. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Careful when you say that. Disney is one of the
    most quality conscious companies in the world,
    and to them Mickey Mouse is the epitome of
    greatness.

Back on topic, as other PC posters have observed,
    my tied down floor mats don't come close to the
    gas pedal and I wonder what would happen if I
    just decided to skip this recall?

19. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In an emergency, it appears that this can also be used
    as a 9-iron, and vice versa.

20. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is my pedal modification update......thanks to Bear's postings, I called Toyota Customer Experience and asked about the new factory pedal. I was given the same "canned" answer that the recall involves modifying the existing pedal, not a new one. I told them I knew there was a factory pedal coming and I wanted to wait for that, not get the Mickey Mouse fix-it. Then they said I would have to do the modification first and if I didn't like it, I would then have to ask for the new pedal. I reminded them how foolish this all sounded and why did I have to have a two-step process to get a new pedal? Well, they continued with the same "canned" circular response. I asked to go up the "food chain." Finally I got someone who put a direct request in to the Customer Relations Manager where I purchased the car. After two attempts to get them to call me which involved another call to the Customer Experience people, I decided to play the waiting game. Well, the dealership called yesterday with "some great news for me." (their words, not mine!!) They are ordering a new pedal for me and will call me when it is in and they will install it. (woo-hoo!!) Persistence and logic won out here!!! If you want the new pedal, ask for it. Obviously Toyota has finally figured out the cost of good PR compared to the cost of the pedal. There is tech time involved in both so what's the big deal?..... Just give me a blasted pedal!!