1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SSC50P code change affects on MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tomdeimos, Dec 9, 2005.

1. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

After the update I drove one of my regular test loops that is 50% 55 and %0% 65 mph.
    I can't compare mpg directly due to the temperature differences, but I do test on days where wind is minimal.

Wayne's simulator said I should have gotton 44 and 49 mpg at the two speeds.
    I got an overall 52 mpg.

In my summer loop runs before the update, I generally got a bit lower mpg than the simulator said I could. So I am encouraged, assuming the simulator corrects for mpg accurately.

I am also seeing more battery power mode than I ever saw before in cold weather, but it is delayed more. I used to get some engine off at 130 degrees engine temp. Now it waits for like 156 degrees and then locks off again when engine gets to 146 degrees F.
    I expect this will greatly help my slow driving summer mpg where small hills tend to make my engine cycle on and off a lot.

Got can view recently so not much current data from before. But I it seems not all that different once on battery power: around a 20 amp limit when cold and over 30 amps when battery is warm.

My car was a 2005 received in Dec 2004.

2. scrubjay1

scrubjay1 New Member

:angry: I took my Prius in for the SSC 50P in December and mileage dropped 20% (52 down to 42 mpg). It has come back up to 48 now. Nothing has changed on my routes or driving. Tires are checked regularly. I bought the car last January and was getting 52 back then so it's not the temp. The service manager claims that it couldn't have been done wrong and check with him again at the next 5000 mile service!

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, if it's anything like our weather, the temps this January have been 20-30 degrees higher than they were last January...