1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello All,

I've noticed quite a few early vintage Gen 2 (04/05) going for cheap with 140-160km (100,000 miles); I believe this is due to traction battery worries.

This is a pretty good bargain for a commuter; however, these cars will be rolling on 10 years old and therefore will require some reconditioning.

I owned a Volvo V70 before this car. On the forums, there was a list of procedures called 'Stage 0' to bring the car back to near factory and therefore be reliable for another 100, 000 miles.

Does such a list exist for the Prius? I looked around and could not find anything.

FH

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've never seen any such thing for the Prius or any car for that matter (but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know what your definition of "cheap" may be, but from what I've noticed, the Gen2 cars with 100,000 miles still sell for about $8000 or more. The ones that are selling for less are usually pretty beat up or have salvage titles.

4. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just did a search on autotrader within 500km of Perth, ON.....2004, 175km, $5800; another 2004, 126km, $6995, and I saw one on kijij with 140km go for $5400....comparable to a civic of the same year and mileage, but far more car.

So let's approach it this way...if I was giving advice to a new to them Gen 2 Prius, I'd recommend the following:

1) Mini VCI cable + laptop
    2) Change +12V aux battery
    3) Change filters (air, cabin)
    4) Change transaxle fluid
    5) Fix headlight sensor
    6) Change inverter coolant pump
    7) Change coolant in both inverter and engine.
    8) Change ICE water pump and belt
    9) Replace spark plugs and PCV

What I have observed on this site is a lack of preventative maintenance...how many times is the first piece of advice change the +12V battery? What happens is people wait for the car to break and then panic. I believe if a list of maintenance item to be performed periodically would be helpful for those who DIY.

For those who bring the car into the dealership, well, you have more money than me ;-)

Now, to the list....what would you recommend?

FH

5. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's an example of stage 0 for a V70...

* spark plugs (Spark plug tutorials: Volvo 850, XC90, S40/V40, torque specs on 5-cyl, which plugs to buy?)
    * cap/rotor or coils (Cap & rotor tutorial: Volvo 850 & S70, V70, XC70, C70 up to 1998*, V70 2001+ coils)
    * oil/oil filter (Oil change tutorial 2001+, Oil change tutorial up to 1998*)
    * transmission fluid flush or drain and fill 2001+ (read about the trans flush pros/cons)
    * hoses, vacuum: white plastic and black rubber
    * hoses, radiator: medium gauge black rubber hoses
    * air filter: K&N air filters for Volvos discussion and see K&N filters on Amazon
    * plug wires make a bigger difference than you’d think: we recommend OEM/Bougiecord
    * clean the overly-complex PCV system
    * clean intercooler/IC plumbing
    * clean injectors (Injector refurbish thread)
    * fuel pumps (depends on how far you want to go… do these last)
    * 02 sensors (removed after consideration)

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So let's approach it this way...if I was giving advice to a new to them Gen 2 Prius, I'd recommend the following:

1) Mini VCI cable + laptop
    2) Change +12V aux battery
    3) Change filters (air, cabin)
    4) Change transaxle fluid
    5) Fix headlight sensor
    6) Change inverter coolant pump
    7) Change coolant in both inverter and engine.
    8) Change ICE water pump and belt
    9) Replace spark plugs and PCV

That's a pretty good list you put together but that stuff would only apply if the car was at 100,000 miles or higher. Most of this stuff can be DIY to save some money. I wouldn't suggest the replacements of the ICE water pump and inverter coolant pump unless one of those units actually shows it's faulty. Also headlight sensors....Why fix it if it's not broken?

7. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're right; might save a few bucks up front. But the inconvenience, especially when the dealership is so busy, is not worth it.

In my case, the water pump decided to start making noise in the middle of January....-10C I had to wake my Camaro from winter sleep and perform the repair....then the +12V battery started acting up 50k from home with the family in the car....another night of freezing.

For the inverter pump, it's cheap insurance....for the $30 part and hour to change it, how many people could have saved a $2k+ repair? Lastly, the headlight sensor has a known issue...if you can catch it early, it'll save the cost of replacement.

I wish I had this list; for example, the mini VCI....had I known this existed, I would have bought one when I got the car. Same as the +12V.

Something else to add...

10) Fix cracks in hatch area - use JB Weld

FH

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're going to address all the items as preventive maintenance, it could get quite expensive. Structs and shocks go bad, the axle seals go bad, alignments, thermostats, fuel injectors.....You can't aimlessly change out things that aren't broken. My fear would be changing out a good coolant valve and replacing it with a faulty/defective one. Making a perfectly good car a broken car.

Keep everything simple. Changing fluids is fine but don't over do it. Don't fix things that aren't broken.

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was my impression when I looked for used prius back in december. The only affordable ones were with 200,000 miles or salvage title. I ended up buying a newer yaris for my kid.