1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stagnation: Is engineering dead?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Spunky, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Time magazine ran an article titled Is America Flunking Science?
    http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,1101060213,00.html

Asked engineering husband, weren't engineers always going to be needed? He said new car design was the pervue of artists and marketing, not engineers. Bridges and buildings' design were redundant, based on past inovation. Students from MIT, the best and the brightest, are leaving engineering (which has become repetitive and boring) for writing, consultation, and freelance work.

Fewer and fewer engineering degrees are being awarded, membership in engineering societies is falling, there are fewer pure engineering jobs.

Dan will be one of the only engineers who can wear different hats and understands the business of energy production, plant operation, and management/leadership. He will have to work the rest of his life and, when he and others like him are gone, there are no replacements gathering the expertise needed to keep power plants running at optimal efficiency. The younger generations just don't find the business (running power plants) interesting or "sexy" or as swiftly profitable as they like. They are not interested in learning all the facets of the business.

We have a friend, Mike, who designs and modifies railroad setups. He's of retirement age. The company's departments fight over whose team he will work on and where he will be based. But none of the younger employees are interested in training to replace Mike when he finally leaves the company. When he's gone, his job will be spilit into three groups, none of which will have the background to understand what the ohers are talking about.

We no longer train folks to do the work, we simply encourage survivor manager wannabes who dabble in positions for 18 months and then move on to wreck anothers. Eventually, these "fast track" fellows are promoted into upper management but have no idea how the industry works day to day.

Once the baby boomers are gone, things are going to hit the fan.

2. Spunky

Spunky New Member

And about hybrids. Dan says he built a hybrid system as a school project over twenty years ago. The technology and concept is old. All the modern car companies have to do is have maybe two engineers get the concept down on paper and then it's merely a matter of manipulating the car designs on a computer. Any one can do that, it doesn't need an engineer.

Same with bridge or airplane designs or...

Engineering has become passe'.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's not only engineering, but all fields of science.

biological/biomedical sciences/physical sciences are all falling way behind partially due to lack of funding and partially due to the fact that fewer students are entering programs- it's actually rather cyclic. less funding because of smaller number of students, fewer interested students because of lack of funding.

there are also a number of federal regulations restricting the growth of certain promising areas of science.... :rolleyes:

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

And then there's my 50-year-old college roomate. He has an engineering degree and lots of experience. He can't even get an interview, let alone a job. Companies are outsourcing their entire engineering departments to China and India because they can hire engineers for 1/3 the US wage.

I have to laugh when I hear some big shot like Carly Fiorino say we have a crisis in education because there aren't enough engineering grads. Asked why HP is moving engineering jobs to China, "we have to be competitive worldwide." In other words -- you can turn out all the engineers you want, but they better be willing to work for $30k a year. :blink:

5. Spunky

Spunky New Member

The neuroscience dept I worked in struggled to recruit grad students. We flew in applicants from across the country, put them up in hotels, wined and dined them, threw "meet and greets" for them. Only the university's football team had better recruitment enticements as we drew the line at hiring "entertainment" or gifting cars.
    We'd have, say, eight applicants for twelve openings, of whom only four would become students. We tried recruiting in China, India, Europe and South America but after 9/11 one of the best was unable to reenter the US following a visit home. What a waste of talent!
    Of the six newly minted PhDs of my tenure, only one went on to do further research work in academia, the rest went into industry. Three work with computers (stats, mangement), one heads the writing dept of a pharmaceutical, the last runs a lab in another pharmaceutical. Only two use their neuroscience skills in their work.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there are 2 students that matriculated with me in my specific department, 8 total in our combined departments.

we were also "wined and dined," but there are about 6 schools competing for the same pool of maybe 40 applicants. apparently my year was the worst recruiting year on record.

this year the numbers of applicants have bounced back. but the number of available spots has declined because there's less funding to be had.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Then how to explain This ?

College majors that boost your paycheck

Computers and engineering offer the highest starting salaries; prospects for class of 2006 look hot.

Some type of applied science degrees make up seven of the top ten majors that receive the highest starting salary, according to the National Association of Colleges & Employers' (NACE) summer 2005 salary survey.

Chemical engineering was the highest paid major, with an average starting salary of $53,813, followed by computer engineering at $52,464 and electrical engineering at $51,888.

The rest of the list, in descending order, is aerospace engineering, systems engineering, computer science, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, engineering technology and information sciences and systems.

And those salaries are going up too.

Offers for engineering technology graduates rose 4.2 percent over the same time last year. Aerospace engineers saw a 6.2 percent increase and industrial engineers saw their starting salary offers rise 7.7 percent.

-----

Personally I don't believe the sky is falling.

However I DO believe that the pace of change is accelerating, and that you have to keep your skills current and relevant. The days when you could get a degree, then a job forever are indeed gone.

But, if you recognize that you have to be a perpetual student, and pro-actively keep up with technology and demands, there will be jobs, and darned good ones.

There may indeed be a lack of qualified and willing applicants for programs, because modern engineering is HARD WORK, but believe me, there's plenty of work out there. That's why some of the companies I work with are offering finders fees in excess of $10K to any employee who can get them a recruit with needed key skills.

Your job is to make sure you have those key skills.

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My school is an engineering school.. and the mood there is that it will be tough for us to find jobs because there are going to be a lot of us floating around

9. Spunky

Spunky New Member

There are two issues here. One is the question of recruiting and training America's scientists. The other is about workers in fields that require a scientific background. There's a difference between doing basic science and working in the industries requiring engineering, chemistry or computer training.

The research lab I worked in could not recruit enough grad students to keep the place humming. This was true throughout the university's science departments. We (the US) still lead the world in producing quality scientists but the pool is shrinking rapidly as the baby boom generation retires and leaves the lab. If technological development and scientific research are considered crucial to a nation's prosperity then we are setting ourselves up for a decline in those areas.

Students prefer to go into "glamour" fields; forensics or business management or computers. They don't want to become nurses or run trucking businesses or do meat-and-potatoes middle management. After all, those are the folks who have to know their jobs and perform real work, not just do face time at meetings and look good to the right people.

Also in industry, see young folks who don't want to "learn the business". Sure, they'll diversify their skill sets by going back for MBAs but they don't know enough about the business or how the company works to make good managers. What's worse is, they don't feel the need to learn. But, hey, they have power point skills and look good in a suit. :blink:

10. Spunky

Spunky New Member

As long as you're willing to work hard and learn the field you go into, you should do well. Be aware, though, that what the professors didn't teach you is more important to flourishing in academia or industry. Things like surviving cubicle life, applying knowledge gained outside the classroom, or how do deal with a co-worker who is a shark.

Chose reputable companies to interview with. There are Enrons and GMs out there. This means doing your homework. Get on the companies' websites and open their investor page. Read the annual report, remembering that the back pages are the meaty ones, and avoid the "fluff" at the front.

Write out interview questions that will ferret out the character of the person you will directly report to. Does that person want to develop your skills so you get the promotions you want, even if that means you will leave the department? What is their turn-over rate and what did the people who left, leave for?

Most important, decide what sort of company culture you feel comfortable with. Some folks like retreating to their own cubicles, others prefer to be part of a team solving problems on the production lines. Some engineers want to build things, others are into creative wrecking. There are companies who promote engineers right up to CEO, others who will only consider those with business backgrounds (and an MBA) to manage from the lower levels on up.

Oh, good luck! I should have considered becoming an engineer instead of going into nursing or technical lab work. Husband Dan, a mechanical engineer, says he really enjoyed his work.

But then, maybe my spelling skills are too good?! :rolleyes:

11. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think i'll ever be CEO of Lexus, but Chief Designer would be nice :)

12. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Wouldn't that be fun?!

And why not consider what it takes to become a CEO?

Diversify your skills.
    A Chief Designer could use an MBA (although most programs do not seem to teach anything) and courses in art and art history. Computer programing skills are always useful. Some accounting so you can create the department's budget and understand the company's strategic planning meeting presentations.
    Take everything you observe in life and use it on your job. Learn to fly a glider and apply what you see about handling in crosscurrents and updrafts. Take a diving course and apply what you learn about pressure gradients to the different materials used to weather-proof a car. Meditation and fly fishing teach patience and watching with an open mind. Etc, etc...

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how many years would an MBA add on?

I'm already looking at 8-9 years with this mechanical engineering degree and a transportation design degree

14. Spunky

Spunky New Member

There are MBA programs that offer evening and weekend classes. And most companies will reimburse your tuition. Make certain you ask when interviewing, could be a huge perk.

An MBA can take anywhere from 2-4 years, depending on the individual university's requirements. If you do it part time, it will take longer, of course. Some schools' MBA programs are jokes, be careful to chose a good one.

One friend did his last year of MBA work in the Netherlands and his job paid for it! He was in international sales so it was justified but oh my.

One of Dan's schoolmates met his wife at their MBA course. Tish and Steve are now married and have two kids. Good, solid relationship; they have fun and have been through a lot together.

15. rkd0984

rkd0984 New Member

I'm new to this forum and found this discussion and wanted to add my insight given that I am a current engineering student. I am studying Mechanical Engineering and Minor in Business at a small, private, well known engineering school in Michigan. I think the reason why there has been a decline in students pursuing careers in engineering is because there has been a shift in mentality. I see many people with whom I go to school with, and who are NOT studying engieering, say why should I work so hard when I get make decent money in a different field. I think the baby boomer generation had a much different mentality and they have seen the peek, to date, of engineering. On top of this, not only is the course work difficult the competition is absolutely extreme.

Why did I choose to pursue engineering? To me the career path was an easy decision...I am fascinated by engineers. For me to create, design, and innovate a new high tech product is amazing, and something that I want to do. I will feel proud the day that I am fully able to say, I am a design engineer. It takes knowledge, creativity, business, all into one field.

Now to the point of this global landscape we live in and the jobs that are being outsourced. I have a decent understanding of both sides of this issue, the students/engineers in the US and students and engineers abroad. (I'm of Indian heritage, parents are from India, father is an engineer. ) I have seen and know people on both sides of this scenario. I think the key for us as students in the US and in the field of engineering is to NOT become a commodity. As soon as we become a commodity our company will no longer hold us at a higher level and of greater worth, but rather will see our position as a commodity they can rid of and obtain at a lower cost in another country. What does this mean? Essentially it means that we need to be MORE than just a smart well educated engineer, because students graduating in other countries with the same degree are just as technically sound. We need to be business savvy and have an understanding of how we as engineers can incorporate business aspects into our engineering work. This will show that we do indeed think multi-dimensionally and more than just our engineering work. It will show how we can further the business of our company into to markets and arenas. This is what we need to do, be NON COMMODITY ENGINEERS!!

My goal is to become a Toyota design engineer. I am currently a Co-op student with them and have finished 2 rotations there. I have a year and a half till I graduate and will complete 2 more work rotations with Toyota Tech. Center before I graduate. I can't wait to be a full fledged engineer!

16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I'll add another societal influence. In much engineering, there are RIGHT and WRONG answers. It doesn't fit well with the "trying your best" attitude or "close enough".

K-12 seems to teach getting along and diversity and feeling good. If Johnny mispells a word...it is OK if others "understand" what he means. If Jeannie trys to solve an algebra problem and just misses it by a bit....well, she gets graded for effort.

We need to work on excellence and accuracy as goals in and of themselves.

I am appalled at the "good enough got government work" attitude of much of the younger set I work with.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know but my friends are engineers. One's an EE, another is probably mechanical? another is the physics side.. what's that called?

and I'm not sure about the last 2 who are in Engineering. Also, another Prius owner in NY on xanga is in Engineering.

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

That's because the secondary and tertiary educational systems in this country SUCK.

It's no longer about education. Or, at least it is, but it has taken a back seat...

For example, no one wants to put up with the 95% BS political component of grad school.

We are soo back assed in education it isn't even funny. It KILLED me to spend my time and money in courses I would never use. The whole educational system is severely flawed.

That, and the fact that ANYONE can get a degree. 90% of degrees out there are as useless as some of my posts. I can't tell you how many people I've run into with stupid degrees like, "communication", generic "business" and/or "marketing" and the best of all, "Pop Culture", yes folks, I actually ran into some dumb nice person chick who claimed she had a degree in Pop Culture. :rolleyes:

The whole 4 year concept is utterly retarded, nothing more than a "mob" of colleges and universities controlling the system such that you "need" them for their 120 credits....

Man, I could go off on this topic... Personally, I gave grad school the finger when I saw what it was all about. Luckily, I've done better than most without a grad degree, I figure my life isn't going to change too much whether I make 50, 100, or even 200K. I'd MUCH rather make, let's say for example, 50K a year and barely do a thing than bust my nice person 24/7 for 200K...

The only way you're likely to make some SERIOUS money 500K+ annually is by either being self employed, or having your own enterprise (or "plugging in" to a "high" enough corporate job).

Life's too short, it ain't all about the money.

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ask yourself if it's really:

1. worth it, and
    2. what you want.

The real world is FAR different from what colleges and universities might have you believe.

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting topic. I've always wante to go back to school and become an engineer. I was thinking about trying to become an engineer for the military. get the training i need plus it's a job too.

Mechanical engineering sounds fun. next would have to be what this topic almost started with. Electricity. I wouldn't mind running a power plant. I would like it. I would also like to help develop new forms of energy. I just don't have the resources i need at this time.