1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stalled on the highway; multiple error codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aranthon, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Aranthon

Aranthon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good afternoon, all,

I was just driving along the highway this afternoon, and I noticed that my Prius (2006, 223k miles, battery replaced with a reconditioned one around 150k miles) was a bit unresponsive -- pushing the gas didn't speed me up at all. Flipped to the Info screen, and watched the battery indicator drop to nothing, at which point the car stalled out. I let it drift a couple of hundred yards to a place I could safely pull over, then turned it all the way off. I waited a minute or so, then tried to start it. It started right up, and I limped it back to a place I could leave it safely (about 1.5 miles). On that drive, the battery indicator was slowly indicating an increase in battery charge. It only gained about four bars, but then I only drove it about 5 minutes.

I have an OBD sensor app on my phone (the one by Automatic), and I currently show two error codes: P0016 (Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)) and P3190 (Poor Engine Power). I also have the "Red Triangle of Death" indicator, with two Problem icons: a "red car with an exclamation point" and a "headlight with rotation arrows". I know the latter means I need to replace the headlight leveling sensor, and I gather that the former means that the hybrid system registered a DTC. I don't recall seeing that before.

I recently filled up with gas -- approximately 100 miles ago, and it still shows 9/10 pips.

At this point, I'm planning to get it towed to a nearby shop I trust, unless the hive mind is pretty sure I can drive it about 4 miles.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone, or am I breaking new ground in misfortune?

Thanks,

Greg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    engine oil level okay? movement in the inverter pump reservoir?

how many gallons did you last pump?

3. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You got 70,000+ miles out of the refurbished battery. There is a good chance it may be done.

kenoarto likes this.
  4. Aranthon

Aranthon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know the engine oil level; will check.

Last fill was about 10 gallons; the last pip had been flashing, though not for long.

bisco likes this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes I can drive 120 miles before I drop 1 pip after I fill up. They tend to go fast after that though. Sounds like a position sensor had a hiccup then found its way after you shut the car down. The drained battery might be because the engine lost power and you were driving on mostly battery. If the battery is now charging I see no reason you can’t drive 4 miles, just keep an eye on the charge level.

kenoarto likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure if you're misinterpreting: I think his current tank is near-full right now; it was the last tank he nearly drained it.

kenoarto likes this.
  7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understood that. I don’t think it has anything to do with his problem. I’m thinking he has a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor going bad.

My gas gauge did the same thing when I first got my car. It just recently started dropping the first pip at 60 miles, after many tanks of gas.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Eric0

Eric0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aranthon, were you able to solve the problem or get some insight as to what was wrong with your car?
    If so, please post a follow-up soon, as I trying to deal with my own car.

(Indeed, I just experienced something similar on my 2004 Prius. The engine stalled driving back home on the freeway last night. One day later, today,the car starts with no warning light. I do not dare drive it though, as you can imagine. I just checked the inverter pump and it appears to be working. Looking for other clues. Thanks.)