1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stalling, 40D, recalibration, and milage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rlcarr, Jul 19, 2005.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

Late last week our 2004BC had the classic stall problem we've all been reading about (MIL and a bunch of lights coming on, ICE not running, clears in 3-5 restarts). Was able to get it to the dealer today. Some tidbits:
    • The dealer had to perform the SSC 40D reprogramming on it. Which brings up a question -- is 40D something dealers should have installed as a matter of course on routine service visits or only something to install if there's already some major problem? I ask because the previous dealer (the one who was so atrocious over the headlight problem) never did 40D nor even mentioned it and I'm curious how (un)reasonable such an attitude was.
    • The calibration was to be updated from 34702200 to 34705100. I've seen one thread here where people have complained that recalibrations have very noticibly decreased milage. Anyone here who has been through a recalibration seen a noticeable milage drop?
    • Dealer said he's had a bunch of Priuses in with the stalling problem (some towed in) in the past couple of weeks. He hypothesizes it has something to do with the high heat and humidity we've been having during that time.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. Some dealers are proactive, others are not. It really depends on whether they're willing to go the extra mile to do preventive work. Others see it as an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing. Some don't want Prius owners flooding in asking for the reflash. Some owners flamed me after i posted that the dealer we use does these proactively on applicable vehicles when they come in for regular service and that I thought it was a good idea. Some owners apparently would rather have a stall before having the software fix done. So who knows. You can't make everyone happy I guess.
    2. I believe this has been discussed before. And although I don't remember the exact details I think it has to do with the reprogramming having to start over with learning all the basic things to run the car. I know that's really, really vague. Sorry, guess I just wasn't paying strict attention there.
    3. Maybe. Who knows what causes this thing? Maybe Toyota will get it figured out for those owners who are in the affected range.

Glad you were able to get it taken care of though. :)

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

on the SSC-40-D you should have received notification from Toyota to take your car in. If you didn't receive the notice you should contact Toyota and make sure that your name and address are correct in their database so you get notified on service bulletins. The SSC-40-D was a notice that was sent to the owners of Prius that fell into a specific serial number range.

4. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

Well, I did get the letter for the free Nav disk replacement, and I did get my direct-from-Toyota $300 check, so I assume they have my address.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

SCC 40D applied to VINs:

KB20U 40001086 – 40053733
    KB22U 40001142 – 40053728
    My car was produced in June 2004, and purchased August 2004. No 40D needed.

Owner notifications began May 2004 according to dealer notice of the SSC.