1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Standard washboard - Brake test surface

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Jun 7, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

There have been sparse reports of ZVW30 brake fade or failure on rough surfaces. The problem is we don't have a ready way to replicate the reported surfaces . . . until (the section on the right:)
    [​IMG]
    In Huntsville, the road crew first removes the existing surface leaving a somewhat consistent washboard. There are somewhat rectangular blocks of the old road surface . . . a 'perfect' washboard.

Now usually they road crew covers the prepared surface the same day and depending upon the area, there are signs and workers about . . . not the best place for Prius brake testing especially at higher speeds. Still, occasionally there may a stretch left over night without a work crew . . . opportunity.

Bob Wilson

2. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in Huntsville, Alabama. Do you know of a place that this is currently going on?

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pratt Avenue was being resurfaced last week and I came across the road work crew. Four lanes, one was being paved and all traffic was reduced to two lanes on the rough, prepared street surface. Then I realized I was driving on a 'standard' washboard.

Bob Wilson

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, what should work better than the "washboard" rough surface is the step/dip from the higher to lower section. Should trigger ABS immediately under moderate braking. It's like going off a 1.5" dropoff.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But this doesn't sound like what the OP is talking about. If it's the regenerative to friction braking transition, then all you need is a small patch of road imperfection (or the step/dip) to trigger it, not an entire length of rough surface washboard. It sounds like the OP is talking about testing the hypothesis that the brake somehow fails while riding on a strip of rough surface.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bob, you have a warped sense of "opportunity". :madgrin: Reminds me of a podiatrist who was helping out at a footrace.

I help out at an aid station at mile 44 of the 100 mile Western States footrace from Squaw Valley to Auburn in California. One of the functions at this aid station is a medical evaluation of whether a runner is in adequate condition to continue, or needs to drop out. The early runners get a 10 second weigh-in, maybe a fillup of their water bottles, and off they go. About 4 hours later, they start coming through in, ah, more challenging condition.

One year there was a podiatrist who came with several of his students. In preparing the students for the experience, he mentioned that they would see some really good blisters that day. Nothing like the everyday blisters that doctors see in normal practice, but really challenging ones. Lots of them. And the ordinary practice of cleaning, bandaging, and recommending several days rest wouldn't cut it that day. The runners wanted to be patched up well enough to run the next 56 miles. If that meant cutting holes in $100 running shoes, so be it.

Like I said, real opportunity. Most of the aid station people thought of it as emergency care, and just didn't see the opportunity aspect. I guess if your business is blisters, then big juicy ones are nirvana.

Ok, :focus:. I just couldn't pass up observing that most people's disaster is opportunity for a few, ah, scientific minds.

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ah, well, usually the ground down edges of the road aren't all that similar to washboard - the road surface is usually smoother. More of a "very rough sandpaper" texture than washboard - unless they use significantly different machines in AL than CA before prepping roads for repaving.

8. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is exactly the type of roadwork that triggered my first experience with the ABS scare. I was driving along at about 35 mph approaching a stop sign, so was gently pressing the regen braking. As I approached the stop sign, I noticed that they had been working on the roads, and the patch right in front of the stop sign (and where I would apply more pressure to the brakes) had been dug out, and ramped down to the completely cleared away pavement. (like the bottom right side of your picture)

Perfect testing grounds, especially at that drop-off point!

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've been using speed bumps but so far, no luck on a significant loss of braking force. I'm thinking if I can find one of these prepared street surfaces without a work crew or police watching, I can do a constant force, slow-down from whatever speed physics allows. In fact, I'll put the accelerometer back in the car.

As the quality of our trouble ticket increases, it becomes harder and harder for the 'powers that be' to ignore them. The trick is converting what appears to be an intermittent problem into one that can be reproduced at will. <grins>

Bob Wilson

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    My experience with Pearl (GII) is it's the "down" that triggers it, not the "up" part of the discontinuity. So a widened crack across the direction of travel. In fact, that is exactly where, two years ago, I first experienced it. Of course, it was just before a light at a "T" intersection with one of the busiest roads in Edmonton. If you didn't stop you would get clobbered at 70 km/hr on the drivers door. I never had a problem, as I don't leave my braking to the last second, but it was still unnerving, at best. :)

In this case it was a 5" wide crack about 3-4" deep across the road. Only the one, that's all it took. Washboard on gravel will also do it, but it varies in "wavelength" and "amplitude" a lot. Each instance of washboard is different. I've even experienced it on "washboard" on pavement, caused by hard braking by vehicles when it was hot over poorly laid ashfault. But I didn't stop to take measurements of it. ;)

11. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Go find some railroad tracks - usually the bumps combined with the slick rails will incur enough wheel slippage that ABS will kick in. Even easier if the tracks are wet.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've tried our local railroad tracks and regardless of slopes or banks, nothing of note. But the road crews have a machine that cuts two, diagonal patterns. This leaves a lot of pavement 'islands', which will be easy to characterize.

Understand, I'm trying to replicate a brake problem with the ZVW30 after SSC-A0B. It won't really apply to the NHW20.

Bob Wilson

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like regen to friction braking transition, triggered by some imperfection in the roadwork. Really nothing different from going over a pothole. This isn't a separate issue from what we already know.

14. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I realize that. I was just pointing out that the photo that Bob posted would be the perfect place to run his tests. :)