1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Standardized per kWh quotes on this forum

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Marine Ray, Apr 22, 2019.

1. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Good point. I suspect that it is very expensive to put in grid infrastructure in urban areas, particularly if the point of service wiring is underground. Plus, the cost of labor is high in NE.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is not only for urban areas. Collectively, the entire NE region is very high rate market including very rural areas far away from cities. I moved away from the metropolitan area many years ago thinking the cost of living will be much less, but that was not the case.:(

#62 Salamander_King, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My power company gets "juice" from Hydro Quebec and net metered solar. We are paying ~$0.17/kWh, no idea what the power company pays for hydro power.

We used to have summer/winter rates years ago. Here the summer rates were lower. Not nearly the need for A/C here in the summer as there is for heat in the winter.

You can here, you can choose to get your power from solar and pay more for the privilege. And yes people do know that an electron is an electron so who knows where your electrons come from at any point in time. Clearly it isn't solar at night since the power company doesn't have a massive battery bank. THOUGH they are working on getting Tesla Powerwalls into solar net metered homes that the company uses as it likes except during power outages when the homeowner can actually use their arrays. Can't do that without on site battery storage when the grid is down. IIRC it is a 10 year plan and the homeowner pays $10/month.

jb in NE likes this.
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not true in our regulated environment.
    I do take your point, this is not a guarantee, but it also isn't something that is mutually exclusive.
    We are quite happy with the utilities response to public demand here in MN.