1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier on History Channel

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Feb 20, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Luckily I came across this awhile ago when going thru my Star Trek wish list on my TiVo. The show was on earlier today and I'm only ~46 mins thru it (out of 2 hours).

It looks decent so far. The main focus so far has been around preparation for the Christie's auction awhile ago. It's interesting to see how much older some of the TNG actors have become.

It'll be rerun again on 2/24.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=det...pisodeId=205724 has a little more info.

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Feb 20 2007, 04:37 AM) [snapback]393185[/snapback]</div>
    cwerdna, they have 3 different Star Trek shows on , ;)

1st. William Shatner hosts how Star Trek changed the world.

2nd. Star Trek Tech

3rd Beyond the Final Frontier .

I also DVR'd them as Im a original Trekk fan and a TNG fan :)

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 20 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]393187[/snapback]</div>
    The 1st and 2nd shows are reruns and were originally aired awhile ago.

I just finished the Beyond the Final Frontier and I have to say it was really good. The scenes and final bid prices shown for some of the items was just mind boggling. The Enterprise D model went for $500K. Picard's Flute from The Inner Light went for a lot of $ (I forget the amount but Wikipedia says $40K).

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Feb 20 2007, 06:26 AM) [snapback]393193[/snapback]</div>
    ahhh, ok I didnt know the others where reruns.... :mellow:

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Need to watch this. :)

Someone did a book The Science of Star Trek ( related link > http://www.exn.ca/mini/startrek/startrek.cfm )

Holodeck - It' nearly here, except there are no real objects

Faster Than Light (Warp) Travel - Possible, but lots of work needs to be done - check back in a couple of centuries

Hypospray - it's here

Communicators - Why don't they have an episode of ST with distracted crewmembers bumping into each over while talking on their communicators? :D

Transporter - Came very close to saying it's impossible, esp. human transport. In 1995 technology, the data to transport a human would take a stack of 20MB hard drives one third the distance of the Milky Way and 4-5 billion years to process. There there is the question: it this the real person or a clone? Great promise on computer technology however.

6. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 20 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]393201[/snapback]</div>
    In case anyone is interested "Enterprise" with Capt. Archer is on the Sci-fi channel between the hours of 7-11PM on Monday nights.

Also, the channel that used to run "Enterprise" is running the original Star Trek episodes 1 or 2 times a week. I think they were called UBN, but I'm not positive.

7. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Feb 20 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]393406[/snapback]</div>
    That would be UPN. Now the CW.

Did anyone buy the original series DVD sets that came out not too long ago? Really wanting those (Scott that is. On this topic Megan is actively disinterested if not horrified).

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Feb 20 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]393556[/snapback]</div>
    Of course Megan could play into this and one day dress as Seven of Nine...

9. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 20 2007, 07:46 AM) [snapback]393289[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, it's debatable whether faster-than-light travel is possible. There are some good reasons to believe it is not. Relativity says that faster-than-light travel in one frame of reference is travel backwards in time in another frame of reference. If relativity is correct, any general faster-than-light travel scheme can be turned into a time machine. And causality issues make that problematic.

Of course it could well be that our understanding of relativity is wrong and faster-than-light travel is actually possible. But at best this makes it unknown whether or not it's possible.

There's a very thorough discussion of the physics of faster-than-light travel (and communication), including discussion of warp drive and wormholes, here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Rela...fLight/FTL.html

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 20 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]393667[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed, it may be possible. But it may not be.

A working Alcubierre drive would allow a time machine to be constructed. That suggests that the problems with the drive, such as negative energy densities, are fundamental. Or maybe time machines are possible and going back in time forks off a new timeline, or there is some other solution to the causality problem. It's all informed speculation, until we can actually build one.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Feb 20 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]393406[/snapback]</div>
    There are a ton of Star Trek reruns ranging from TOS to Enterprise ALL the time. My keyword==Star Trek wishlist returns 89 shows for the next 2 weeks on channels such Spike, G4, TV Land, my local CW affiliates, and Sci-Fi. The typical # of hits for a 2 week period is 80-100.