1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is one possibility.
    I am hopeful though that it is because CBS wants Star Trek Discovery to be more hard hitting than Network TV would allow.

RCO likes this.
  2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I assume you didn't pay for your 2017 Prius C either? After all, the only reason there was a charge for it was that Toyota needs more money. MORE, MORE, MORE ...... never enough.

RCO and bisco like this.
  3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My assumption would be a bit different. I can't imagine what they could do that couldn't go on network TV, or at least on cable.

We all fast-forward through the adverts. The network TV companies are looking at the subscription model that is working for Netflix and others, and want to find a new way of paying for their programming.

It's pretty clear that Star Trek Discovery must have been very expensive. It needs to pay for itself, and advertising revenue in the current market isn't going to be enough.

It's also clearly a flagship meant to drag people into CBS All Access, which I assume has more to offer than just this. There was one programme - Stranger Things, I think it was - that finally inspired us to subscribe to Netflix Australia, and then we discovered that it was easy to use and had a great range of programmes (not as good as in the US, but still....), and only cost A$5 per month.

RCO likes this.
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can certainly see the attraction in doing it that way.

RCO likes this.
  5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean the "cold open" - the bit where they're in that desert? Or the title sequence?

The title sequence reminded me a lot of Westworld. I suspect that was a deliberate attempt to suggest that the programme could be of a similar sort of quality.

Yes, I was surprised by a couple of plot points, especially the unfortunate event, which I didn't see coming at all. And I think the idea of introducing the characters gradually - we didn't even see two of the lead actors named in the title sequence in the first two episodes - works well, rather than just having a whole load of exposition and no story in the first episode (see Encounter at Farpoint).

In Australia, we only have one cable company, and I'm seriously thinking of dropping them, as their content really is abysmal. I'm basically using it for BBC World News and Air Crash Investigation. Our free-to-air TV is good, though.

RCO likes this.
  6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The title sequence. Yes, it was reminiscent of WestWorld, thanks for mentioning that. It reminded me of something, I just couldn't remember what.

Yeah, they did a nice job on many levels. TNG is probably my favorite ST series, but Encounter at Farpoint was the worst premier of any of them.

Our over the air TV is pretty good (even has a science fiction channel). With Netflix, CBS All Access and Amazon Prime, we have more quality content than Cable ever gave us.

Very nice! The modern Battlestar Galactica never would have made it on network TV in the states. It dealt with some very gritty issues of society and pulled no punches. Your guess is more likely, but I am still hopeful:)
    And yes, they could get away with it on cable, but CBS isn't cable :)

RCO likes this.
  7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, and I think there's no easier way to say "quality SF drama" than, "Hey, look, this is a bit like Westworld".

It really was dire. But yes, it went on to be so brilliant. I think The Best Of Both Worlds was the peak of TNG for me, but it really was a brilliant series.

Yes. Our cable is now mainly crap pseudo-reality-with-pretend-fights, like Storage Wars and Hardcore Pawn and stuff. If that was what I wanted, I could just record one episode and watch it again and again, rather than pay monthly for more episodes that are exactly the same.

I haven't tried the new Battlestar Galactica. I should give it a try.

I would have thought commercial imperatives drove the Star Trek decision, but maybe they'll use that freedom to do more than they might otherwise do. And a subscription model means you don't have to worry about turning off advertisers, which does give you a lot more freedom.

RCO and Zythryn like this.
  8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may then be missing the point of much of Star Trek, and indeed much science fiction.

KK6PD, RCO, Zythryn and 1 other person like this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll take the unpopular opinion, I like TNG Encounter at Farpoint. Any episode with a Q is a keeper!

I would definitely put it above the Rascals episode where they all turn into kids (oh little Whoopie) or the Night Terrors episode where it is almost unbearable to sit through another frame of Troi floating in green space yelling "Where are you?!?!"

rasc.jpg

terrors.jpg

I'll take Q's trial of humanity over either of those any day.

farpoint.jpg

<Edited to add images>

KK6PD and RCO like this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because I enjoy them, or because I do not consider Star Trek to be a documentary?

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am paying for "free" TV by watching the commercials.
    I am also paying for it because it comes in on a cable (fiber).
    NOW they want us to pay for content a 3rd or 4th way.
    I'm not a slave to the tube.
    I stream nothing, don't do PPV and certainly won't be "subscribing" to yet another conduit.

And with your Prius example, this is similar to telling us that we have to pay a per mile driven fee and a monthly fee for the radio to continue to work and another monthly fee for the GPS to keep functioning.........AFTER we paid the full asking price for the car.

Both my present cars have additional features that are available only by "subscription" and I don't really care what they are.

RCO likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, there are fuel taxes and car insurance.

A friend is experimenting in cutting the cable now. Local networks will actually be free with commercials while being higher definition than what comes through the cable, and the streaming services will likely be cheaper than the cable.

Zythryn likes this.
  13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Point taken, if someone doesn't see value in a product they shouldn't have to pay for it.
    But you are taking things a bit far. For example you are already paying for three or four times.
    For your cable TV programming you are paying for the cable, paying for the electricity to run the TV, as well as for the TV that displays the programming, and then watching any programs.
    If you wish to continue the expansion, you're also paying for the TV stand which the TV sits on, the house in which the TV stand sits, and so on.

14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You forgot the food consumed so you could be alive when watching the program and the lost wages when you were watching the program instead of working :LOL:

Zythryn likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm happy to pay for the thinks i want and like, and comfortable with the capitalist system, such as it is. i don't begrudge people trying to make as much as they can, who would determine how much is enough? our system has some checks and balances for necessary products and services. although imperfect, i don't think entertainment should be under government control.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I agree....Frankly, I hope the 'CBS All Access' experiment fails miserably.

What also ticks me off is that Netflix is handling distribution of the show everywhere *except* the USA...and possibly Canada. However, I think they are broadcasting it in Canada.

Edit: After thinking about it a bit it seems to me that they are alienating both their broadcast viewers by offering a broadcast teaser episode.... *and* people who already stream by requiring yet another subscription. I'm not sure that this was very well thought out by them.

#36 farmecologist, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look, if you don't want something enough to pay for it, that's OK. That's why I don't subscribe to the sports channels on my cable package.

But it's not something to get angry with the companies for. You're not angry with Toyota for offering its subscription services, so why be angry with CBS? Star Trek is not a right. It is a product you can buy or not buy. It costs money to make, and the makers need to recoup their investment.

18. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because it would appear that you don't understand what science fiction - including Star Trek - is often trying to do.

19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've really never been sold on Q. The trial of humanity was an interesting concept, but I just find him a bit annoying. Although he did introduce us to the Borg, so he can't be all bad.

Rascals was remarkably silly. And Night Terrors was among the dullest 45 minutes of television ever made.

For me, the holodeck episodes (especially the Data/Sherlock Holmes and Picard / 30s Detective ones) are pretty rubbish.

But the winner has to be Shades Of Grey - the one where Riker lies on a bed and has flashbacks from Seasons 1 and 2 - which was just abysmal. At least there's an excuse for that one: it was the Hollywood Writers' Strike, so there was no-one to do a story. (The Bond film A Quantum Of Solace is completely incomprehensible for the same reason.)

But the fact that these stand out as not being very good throws things into relief and makes you realise how great the rest of it was. For me, anything with the Borg is a highlight, but there's so much more.

RCO likes this.
  20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also I am looking forward to the new Borg film where they take on John McEnroe.

RCO likes this.