1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, Sep 25, 2017.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    'Star Trek: Discovery' replaces its showrunners (again)

Berg and Harberts were regularly on After Trek and it was interesting to have their insight.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Too bad I don't live in So Cal, otherwise I'd drop by to check this out: Star Trek Discovery Mirror Universe Experience Opens at Comic-Con.

More news about ST:D, season 2.
    Star Trek Discovery Season 2 Sneak Peek, Trek Shorts Announced at Comic-Con - this and the next link have pointers to a new S2 trailer
    Star Trek: Discovery’s season 2 trailer teases Spock, Christopher Pike, and Tig Notaro - The Verge
    Star Trek 8 Things We Learned from Discovery's Hall H Panel
    Rebecca Romijn To Play 'Number One' On STAR TREK: DISCOVERY | TREKNEWS.NET

When browsing comments on the net, it is quite funny that those who dislike/hate the show or business model (for those in the US) will keep referring to the show as STD. :D

hkmb likes this.
  3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that. I'm very much looking forward to it.

For anyone not in the US, a non-geoblocked trailer's available at

It does look really good. Bringing Spock and Pike into the story makes sense, given the timing.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heh. That above seems geo-blocked for me, in the US.

5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it's a Netflix Australia one or something.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ST: D is a Netflix Original and on its streaming service is supposedly 188 countries, except the US and Canada: Netflix to Beam New CBS “Star Trek” Television Series in 188 Countries Around the World.

For those of us in the US, one needs to subscribe to CBS All Access. Leslie Moonves Talks ‘Star Trek’ Profit, Netflix, Political Advertising and NFL Streaming – Variety mentions the payment arrangement.

7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant maybe the trailer that I could access and you couldn't was published by Netflix Australia. It seems that different markets get different background music too: we didn't get Lenny Kravitz, when apparently you did. There are comments about the different music under your "The Verge" link.

But yes, in Australia I've been watching Discovery on Netflix. Netflix here has all the Star Trek series, in fact. I've just finished Enterprise, and now I'm going to drag myself back into DS9. The trouble with DS9 is that, so far at least, it has too many Ferengi in it, and I just cannot be arsed with Ferengi.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In the US on Netflix streaming, we have all the Star Trek series except ST: D.

Hahaha about DS9. IMHO, you're not missing much. It does get good near the end w/the Dominion war and some stuff that happens with Dax. Not sure if I want to spoil that part but I can, if you want...

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oooh, yes. Avoid the spoilers. But it sounds like it's worth sticking with. I wasn't that impressed by Enterprise at the start, but it did grow on me. And it had no Ferengi, which was nice.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I do not know (weird, this software replaces d u n n o with do not know). I probably only watched about 1/2 the eps of DS9 and about 2/3rds the eps of Voyager. Much of DS9 wasn't that interesting. They had to do a bunch of stuff to spice things up.

At a convention when Michael Dorn (Worf) and Marina Sirtis (Troi) were on stage together, she joked about DS9 being Deep Sleep 9. They're quite funny when on stage together.

AFAIK, I've watched every TOS ep and I've seen all eps of TNG (seasons 1 and 2 were mostly terrible), Enterprise (I enjoyed it) and all of ST: D, besides all the movies at least once.

BTW, for those who enjoy/like ST: D, I suggest also watching After Trek after each ep, if you aren't already.

#90 cwerdna, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the fact that it doesn't go anywhere is a problem. But that still had potential. The Ferengi were the biggest problem.

As for Voyager, I did very much like it. I thought its biggest shortcomings were J̶a̶r̶ ̶J̶a̶r̶ ̶B̶i̶n̶k̶s̶ Neelix, who was just annoying until about Season 4. And J̶a̶r̶ ̶J̶a̶r̶ ̶B̶i̶n̶k̶s̶ Neelix's relationship with Kes, which had a whiff of paedophilia about it. But I liked the baddies in Voyager: I thought they made especially good use of the Borg. And I thought Seven of Nine was a particularly interesting character.

I also liked that towards the end, when there were shots of the Star Fleet Communications Headquarters, it was actually the view out of my old office in Hong Kong. Now, not in the 25th Century.

I'd love to see that.

I think I've seen all of TOS (also only AFAIK), TNG, Voyager, Enterprise (which I got into from Season 2 after finding Season 1 a bit dull, and I was very disappointed by the final episode, but the rest of 2, 3 and 4 were good) and ST:D. I've only seen Season 1 of DS9.

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that is even more annoying than the d u n n o problem. ST: D, I meant.

Honestly, it's like the world is run by teenagers. NO, I DO NOT WANT MY PUNCTUATION TURNED INTO AN EMOJI. IT IS PUNCTUATION. I KNOW WORDS, AND CAN USE THESE TO EXPRESS MY IDEAS. I DO NOT NEED TO DEVOLVE INTO PICTURES. [big steaming poo; angry face]

Trollbait, Prius Maximus and cwerdna like this.
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you get further into DS9, they kinda fix that with a certain ship.
    True. There were quite a few like the Kazon, Borg, Species 8472, etc. Yeah, the character development of 7 of 9 was good. And, of course, they had the actress on the show for a certain reason. However, the doctor was the best character on the show, by far. 7 of 9 probably comes in 2nd.

mr88cet likes this.
  14. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven’t found it, yet, on my various media outlets, but probably will soon.

Have you seen The Orville? Some of it is of the nature of parody (no surprisingly, coming from Seth MacFarlane), but there are some good shows in there too.

15. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, Voyager is high on my Star Trek list.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was watching Babylon 5 over DS9. It was a little grittier with more Tolkien influence.
    Voyager was better once they got past the the Gilligan's Island in space aspect of it.
    We had some Orville discussion going on here.
    good Star Trek references/parodies in other TV shows/movies | PriusChat

17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, well I'll keep going, then. It can be a challenge: the episode I started (and stopped) yesterday involved a bloody leprechaun. They said it was Rumpelstiltskin, but it was a leprechaun. I mean, really? I might skip to the next episode.

The Borg and Species 8472 were excellent baddies. The Kazon.... Maybe it's my age, but they just reminded me too much of a Duran Duran video. And their structure and culture didn't really make sense.

Seven of Nine ..... I never really got the "Ooooh, Jeri Ryan" thing. I just thought she was an interesting character. And you're right, the doctor was excellent too. It's always been good to have a not-human character looking at humanity from the outside and trying to get a handle on humanity. Spock, Data, Seven of Nine and the Doctor, and T'Pol were all good for this. And both Michael Burnham and Saru.

18. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    RCO likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Swill!

Black tea, loose, no frigging bag or dunker:
    1. Boil water, microwave or other in a 16 oz mug.
    2. Heaping tea spoon in mug and cover.
    3. About 2-5 minutes later, take cover off.
    4. Half and half creamer or whole milk to 'take the edge off.'
      1. 1/4 tsp of quality honey
    5. Heaven.
    Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    CBS All Access gets a new customer!