1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Star Trek movie discussion thread (please, NO SPOILERS for Star Trek Into Darkness!)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, May 13, 2012.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly in that commercial, despite Leonard Nimoys difficulty in placing his golf clubs, I like his car better.

Zachary Quinto's home? Now THAT kicked butt.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think she means Zack likes to suck it.

3. cknfts

cknfts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ---

Rae Vynn and JMD like this.
  4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, thx for the clarity.

5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leonard Nimoy was Spock. He was a hard act to follow. But I think Zachary Quinto does a remarkably good job.

Actually, in the first of the new movies, they all did a remarkably good job. I think Bones missed the mark slightly and Uhura was a bit one-dimensional (which I think was the writing rather than the acting), but everyone else did a great update of their original characters.

6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree. Leonard Nimoy was very convincing in his role. Zak has big shoes to fill and so far all is good. Lets see what we think next week.

The original series William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy played off each other perfectly in real life and there characters. From what I understand Leonard observed conservative Judaism and translated his refined and understated personality well, and Shatner a reform was much more outgoing and brash.

Of course these are my opinions

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I heard there's a big (possible?) spoiler on IMDB for STID, so I'm steering clear for now. If it is a spoiler, I guess it's a consequence of its early release outside the US. :(

8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe the last film was strong overseas response allowed Paramount to make the project profitable. However the last film only ranked 9th in revenue that year worldwide.

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, the Spock of the first few episodes vs the Spock of the final season of TOS, and then the following movies, are pretty different. It took awhile for Spock to develop. It might this time, too.

JMD likes this.
  10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The biggest decision I will make is to spend $10 per ticket for the uncomfortable Edwards Movie Theater or $20 per ticket at Cinapolis for the full on Leather recliner Multi Media experience with beer,wine and food delivered to me .

I typically reserve these experiences to a great film and this qualifies.

Rae Vynn and cknfts like this.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Go to bing.com and Bing for "beam me up". Be sure to turn on your speakers. :)

Rae Vynn likes this.
  12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe the movie opens tomorrow.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    It does, but there are some "fan sneaks" tonight per Fandango. I originally figured they'd be all midnight showings, but they seem to be starting as early as 8 pm tonight.

It's goofy that Paramount's pushed the date earlier. They originally kept saying 5/17 (for the US).

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will go online and buy tickets for the Saturday night show tonight.

15. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SURPRISE! My DH has just said, "Hey, there's a 6:00 showing in 2D at our local theater. Let's go"

We're off to the movies!

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm, I thinking we should avoid discussing any spoilers for Star Trek Into Darkness beyond what's been shown in the various featurettes, ads, trailers, etc. that have been released.

Unfortunately, this software has no spoiler tag like that of TiVocommunity. I'm going to start a separate thread for STID where spoilers are allowed.

I will be seeing it on Friday night in (supposedly real) IMAX 3D, but still..

17. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Enjoy! :)

Beyond the lens flash (dear lord, every single scene??), it was a visually stunning movie. I'll say nothing else at this time.

cwerdna likes this.
  18. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If there has been an increase to those post-production fake lens flares, I will be really mad. They stuck out like a sore thumb in the last Abrams movie. In years to come, the whole added effect will foster jokes that might haunt J.J.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Heh, re: lens flares, I saw some of the making of documentaries/featurettes on the Blu-ray disc of the previous JJ-verse film. They literally were shining flashlights into the camera in scenes. Then, there are the lens flares in the CGI.

I don't mind it that much but I find it funny to joke about.

In that Quinto vs. Nimoy ad I posted earlier, do look for the lens flares on Quinto's car, as I mentioned. :)

Rae Vynn likes this.
  20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Saw it in IMAX 3D. It was really good! Feels different than most previous Trek movies as this one had way more action and a faster pace. I guess that's to be expected from JJ, esp. if you watched Alias.

Someone on another forum found a review that used the words "Trek-Themed Action Movie". That's a pretty good description.

There were lots of references to TOS: Space Seed and Wrath of Khan. Might improve your enjoyment to refresh your memory (e.g. via Space Seed (episode) - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki) or rewatch those before watching this, if your memory is foggy of those.

To me, most Trek fans will just love this movie, except purists that hate JJ-verse or get really annoyed by plot holes.

Rae Vynn likes this.