1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Start button does nothing

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Arob21, May 4, 2022.

1. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2012 prius v. I have replaced the 12v battery and hv battery. It is intermittently letting me power it on. It seems like if I hook my other car up to it with jumper cables and wait like an hour the start button will turn amber and let me put it in auxiliary mode or start it. Not sure if the jump start has anything to do with it or not. Due to the fact that the battery is fully charged and brand new (2nd new battery).
    Key fob works fine. Iv pressed the fob up to the start button also. Iv replaced every single fuse and relay under the hood and replaced fuses under the dash.
    I'm at a loss. When the car turns amber and let's me press the button to turn on the radio and stuff it's all good and then starts just fine. But that is very seldom that it let's me. Iv spent days trying to figure it out. I had a issue with the inverter pump so I havnt been driving it when it does start. But I believe I fixed the pump issue so now the last 2 days iv been trying to get it to want to start again so I can drive it around for a hour or so and pray it works out its issues. It has sat for about a year.

Any ideas? I don't think the hv battery would have anything to do with it not at least turning amber and turning ignition on to at least have the radio come on.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Even though you have a new 12v battery does not mean its charged. It can discharge overnight with just the hatch light left on. From the sounds of it you are partially charging it with the jump.

kenoarto and Air_Boss like this.
  3. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have a secure place - like a garage - to leave your car unlocked overnight? Do you have a 12v battery charger?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hv battery is not related to make the car ready, but getting a change by a jumper tells you everything you need to know. the 12 volt is not supplying proper voltage.
    get yourself a digital volt meter and take a reading with the car off at the jump point under the hood.

Air_Boss likes this.
  5. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    It has 12.7volts at the pannel under the hood

bisco likes this.
  6. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Iv been working on it for days. Iv had several different battery chargers on it, different cars on it. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for the random times is decides to start

7. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is what I would do:

Disconnect the 12V battery.
    Charge the 12V battery overnight - you'll need to leave the car (trunk) open to get access to the battery.
    Reconnect the 12v battery
    Push the start button once. Wait 15 seconds.
    Push and hold the start button again
    Note the level of charge (bars) of the HV bat if it comes up on the MFD

(This has worked for me on Gen 2 and 3 Priuses, many many times. Yours might be different)

Good luck

Tim Jones likes this.
  8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you are using a cheap meter some read high. Harbor Freight meters are bad about reading dc volts high. If not, you probably have a loose terminal in the fuse box or an intermittent fuse or fusible link. Jiggling it could be making contact occasionally. Check voltages throughout the fuse boxes when it does not work, not just at the jump point. Pray the issue is not your 125 amp dc to dc fuse; its hard to see much less replace. Ten to one you have not replaced it.

* 125a fuse visible from top.jpg

*Fuse box diagram with jump point.jpg

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  9. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Just checked, the 125 is good. I have power to the eng w/p fuse and the abs main no. 2 fuse

10. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I just tested all the under hood fuses.
    Pcu, igct no.2, Mir htr, igct no.3, efi no.2, H-LP RH HI AND LH. .
    Those are all the fuses that don't have power

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Those all depend on the system going to Ready. Perhaps your observation that "jumping makes it work" is a red herring. Have you checked the keyfob battery? The stoplight switch?

12. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Key fob battery is good, the brake lights come on when I press the brake pedal. And yes I agree that jumping it is possibly red herring. I just am at a loss for what wires to trace, due to not knowing what the path is from the battery to allow power mode. I just ordered a techstream cable so hopefully I can pull up a code of some sort that might help

Air_Boss likes this.
  13. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have a stupid question for you. Do you know if there is a way I could bypass all the things required to go into accessory mode? Maybe by supplying 12v power directly to something? That way I can at least get the car started and driving for now?

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not really. This car is networked to the max. I would certainly try the jump again and or a good 12v charge. You need the codes read pronto. The techstream hack version can be difficult to setup. I would get someone to read the codes. That may solve the problem quickly.

Tim Jones likes this.
  15. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I was able to get it to start today and ran techstream on it. Here is a picture if the report.
    Codes B2785, B2786, B2789, B278C, U0142, U0155.
    @rjparker

Attached Files:

16. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a network communication issue which could be one of several ecus or poor power/ground. How did you get it to start?

17. Arob21

Arob21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I hooked a jump box to the new battery for a couple hours and it let me start it, Then i took it out and drove it around for about an hour, Came home and parked it. Went out an hour later and it wouldnt let me start it again.

18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think you have a bad battery or bad connections at the battery. Check the ground cable at both ends.

The fact you can jump start it and drive says just about everything else is ok.

Air_Boss likes this.
  19. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    May 4
    May 17
    It seems the pattern is the same, even two weeks later. Jump it and wait for a couple of hours and it will start. The second time it would drive for an hour but not restart.

1. Both times you jumped directly to the battery terminals?

2. Or was the negative jump source connected to chassis?

3. Were you wiggling or pulling on wires and cables as you waited for the jump?

Sometimes a bad connection will allow an extremely low current through such that when there is no load downstream of the bad connection, a high impedance (eg no added load) meter* can read proper voltages. But with a load, the bad connection can reduce the downstream voltage. A poor connection on the negative side is just as bad as a poor connection on the positive side.

4. If measuring at the front jump point when it fails, what is the voltage with the headlights on?

5. With the headlights on, what is the voltage between the negative battery terminal and a good bare metal chassis ground?

* Almost all modern meters are high impedance. High impedance meters can read induced, current limited "ghost or floating" voltages which can not power some loads. Old school analog meters added a minor load and mechanic test lights add a small to significant load depending on the test light / power probe. Test lights and power probes can cause problems if used indiscriminately. Some multimeters have a special "Low Z" (low impedance) mode which helps reduce false "ghost or floating" readings.

#19 rjparker, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022