1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Start-up engine knock; disappears after 30 sec

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bennie49, Mar 22, 2013.

1. bennie49

bennie49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have an '01 Prius, 185,000 miles. A few years ago, it developed an engine (?) knock immediately after starting; disappears after 30 sec. It has gotten progressively louder and now runs very rough during those 30 sec. After that, just hums along. No one has been able to give me any kind of answer. Also, anyone know of a competent/reputable/reliable Prius mechanic in No. California, inland or otherwise. I live in a rural part of the state & the only choices are dealers & incompetent shops. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely your engine is hosed (bearing/rod etc)...I just bought a car with 266k miles same symptoms and was throwing misfire codes. I replaced the ICE and all is well. Good used Prius ICE's are only a few hundred $$, not worth opening them up IMHO.

Just drive yours till it grenades then replace the ICE. Won't be any cheaper if you do it sooner than later.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You have an opportunity to try something I heard on "Click and Clack" the NPR program . . . the various miracle additives. One 'shade tree trick' is to try a heavy grade oil. But in the meantime, look for 'opportunities' and possibly scheduling the engine replacement at a time and place that matches your schedule.

I am a little uncomfortable with not trying some standard engine diagnostic tricks. See if you can get cylinder pressure reading. Also, it may make sense to take the valve cover off and look for unusual cam wear. Possibly swap injectors and plugs into different positions . . . all are long shots.

If it is rod, piston pin, or bearing knock, it is just a question of time. The engine is hammering itself apart from the inside. Fortunately, the control laws are running the engine about as 'softly' as can be . . . unless you are accelerating up hills and mountains.

Bob Wilson

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this the best you can do?

It could be something as simple as bad spark plug: http://www.aecs.net/techniek2012/March%20prius.pdf

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  5. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Check for a bad coil,or in my case had some water that had leaked down the coil tube and did almost the same thing...

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  6. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a good one too. Anything that gives a temporary misfire.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might give these East Coast folks a call in the morning:
    Auto Careers Development Center - Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Repair Training

They have a web page of recommended shops but sometimes the updates lag:
    Hybrid Shop Finder | Auto Career Development Center

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

8. goodnuff

goodnuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have something simular when I start my 01. Only it lasts about five seconds on startup. Seems to only happen when there has been a signigicant outside temp difference from the car's last run time. For instance, when I shut down the car and its 50 outside. Car sits over night and I start it when its 18 degrees in the morning. It sounds horrible but corrects itself within seconds. I figuring this is some sort of timing adjustment that is made by the car to compensate for the outside temperature.
    I don't know if its related to what you're experiencing. 30 seconds is a long time.

9. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, this sounds exactly like the infamous 3gen knocking issue that is basically water condensation in intake manifold that shorts spark plugs and produces misfiring. I was able to duplicate the issue in mine by simply disconnecting one of the ignition coils. Check my video on youtube. Knocking is produced at 1:10. Is that what you are talking about?

10. goodnuff

goodnuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It is that same knock. It starts with the intense knock and then fades away quickly. Again, this only happens durring those big temp changes. If the temp is within 20 or so degrees, it doesn't seem to happen. I'll see if I can record it with my phone one of these mornings to share