1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starting issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kayak99, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Cold weather actually makes batteries age slower, not faster.

And the "normal" battery test determines how much current it can supply.
    In a Prius application, voltage is equally or more important.

As for changing your location on here.......click on your user name at the right end of the top menu bar.

2. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery showed 12.2 at the test. Is that what you are referring to?

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where did they test it at? At the battery or up front at the main fuse box. The main power point up front is where battery voltage really matters.

4. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They tested the battery itself, not from up front but where it sits.

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. And 12.2 is rather low.
    That battery is suspect......regardless of what the person doing the test said.

6. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't get into a Toyota shop until Monday. Going to do the onboard diagnostics tomorrow. One dealer wants $147 just to check the vehicle, the other thinks the computer needs reflashed. The diagnostic test is the one you flip the headlights on and off three times. They are supposed to show voltage sitting then with vehicle charging. Are these reliable & would they show battery issues? Not sure why the battery life would be so low but if that is what it needs I can replace the battery for a whole lot less than the dealer wants..

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The built-in diagnostic test mentioned above (and available in countless other threads on PC) does provide a load test to the battery where you can see how far the voltage drops. Your Toyota dealer or just about any retail auto parts store can also load test your battery. A 5 year old battery is getting old, but my 2011 battery (from 2010 actually) just started failing a month ago. Some say if you ever deep discharged the battery, left an interior light on or something, that this will weaken it and result in a shorter life. In the later years of my battery I used a battery conditioner to charge, condition, and test it at least once a month. I was also monitoring the start voltage with a 12V USB adapter with digital display. Started seeing start voltage drop to 11.6 - 11.8V, and then my conditioner red-lined a conditioning cycle, so I replace it with a Toyota TrueStart. Can't beat their warranty.

8. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Getting impatient I took the Prius to one of those Battery Plus stores this afternoon fro another check. (after several attempts the car continues to start) He confirmed the battery needs replaced. Apparently the Florida heat has not been friendly! The battery first appeared to have 12.28 volts then about 10 minutes later down to 11,4. His price for a Duracell AGM replacement battery $224 with 4 year warranty . Since I have an AM appointment with Toyota in the morning I'll head there to see what they will charge me for a battery installed (or if I install myself) then decide which way to go. NAPA wants $180+. Everyone's help is appreciated and hopefully this will resolve the start issue.

#28 kayak99, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some people go to Pep Boys and they install it for a reasonable price.

kayak99 likes this.
  10. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE

I wanted to give this a couple weeks to see how my solution worked. It works perfectly. I showed up at my Autonation Toyota dealer. Letting the service guy know I just wanted the battery replaced he told me the battery would be $239 plus installation. He checked, a regular battery was $20 installation, a Prius costs $100!! All plus tax! I declined and went to Napa taking an old regular car battery for my core trade. Napa will not install batteries on a hybrid car. Paid $193.66 out the door and the warranty is amazing. 18 months 100% exchange then 75 months pro rated. Easy to take care of, I did the install myself.

The new battery solved the starting problem. Thanks for all the help!!

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure.:)

paprius4030 likes this.
  12. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Glad this solved your problem. Can you tell us the specific battery you purchased? Any install or venting issues?

13. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NAPA Legend part # BAT 9851 P $180.99 plus tax. This battery has the vent hole. The vent tube in the car fits right in. No install issues at all. Exact same size as original.

bisco likes this.