1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Starting My Son's Credit 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Deedeemom2, Feb 5, 2021.

?
  1. Yes, keep it, it's a great family vehicle

40.0%
  2. Nope, if you're pandemic broke, sell it and recover some on your loss

60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Deedeemom2

Deedeemom2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I co-signed for a used Prius for my son who has a wife 2 kids and a baby on the way. We live in Michigan and he has to drive a lot. I suggested a used Prius, it has 204000 miles on it and the mechanic we bought it from told us he but in a new battery. Well, now the car does work after two months, drives slow, engine light on, and the dealer says it needs a new battery. We paid 3500 for the car, a new battery cost 2500-3100 from the dealer. He has to pay loan monthly payments. Should we just chuck the Prius, I feel bad that I suggested a vehicle that he can't afford to repair? Will someone purchase a Prius that does not work and need a battery? It is no way he can afford to fix this, anything over 500 dollars is out of his budget and I need my car back!

Ripped off, we were.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's worth a few sheckles, but not much. have you asked the mech you purchased it from?

old prius are a problem unless you're a serious diy'er, or know one.

davecook89t likes this.
  3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There is a big difference between a new HV battery and a refurbished HV battery. Unfortunately, people unfamiliar with the Prius often fail to make that distinction. If he is a mechanic, he should certainly have known better, and at least made sure you were aware of the difference. If he told you it was a new battery, he lied, and you may have a legal cause of action, although in the end it may be more trouble than its worth to pursue it. To take another approach, as @bisco suggests, it might be worth asking him if he is able to work with you to refurbish the battery, replacing bad modules, to make it last a few more months, since he probably owes you that much at least. There are members of this forum who have done that process over and over again every few months (they call it whack-a-mole) to extend the life of their car. It doesn't cost much in terms of dollars, only time, and eventually almost everyone gets tired of doing it, and gives up on the car or puts a new battery in it for something like the price you were quoted. With 204k miles, it hardly seems worth putting a new battery in, unless you or your son are prepared to pull the battery out and put it in another Gen 2 car when this one dies for some other reason. Just so you know where I'm coming from, our Gen 2 Prius now has 291k miles on the original battery, so the car is capable of a long life, but if at any point the HV battery had died after we bought the car (which already had 211k miles), we would have donated the car to charity. So I'm voting "Nope".

Skibob likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Sorry to hear about the situation you're both in. The vehicle has value as-is, and could easily fetch 2k+, as just the catalytic converter alone is worth about 1300 on ebay, assuming its OEM and not already stolen or replaced with an aftermarket cat.

Given the $ituation, I would consider fixing it before throwing in the towel. Unless you can sell if for close to the value of the loan.

Though neither are likely nearby, I'm certain that @ericbecky (in Madison) or @strawbrad (in MN) would set you straight.

In addition to possibly using CarFax when buying a used vehicle, you can also check the Toyota dealer maintenance history for free by entering the VIN at : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

If the son has a DIY attitude and tools, there is the possibility of him fixing it for around $50 and some labor.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted five (5) times.

Skibob and davecook89t like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    New Prius Batteries (headed by a PriusChat member) will set you back $1600, including shipping, for a DIY battery cell replacement, new cylindrical cells, nothing but good reports here.

6. Deedeemom2

Deedeemom2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base

7. Deedeemom2

Deedeemom2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had no idea older Prius had issues. The guy we purchased the car from said he should be set a few years. Someone posted we can fix this for 50 bucks? I am confused

8. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That would be the approximate cost of one module. If only one of the 28 in the battery needed to be replaced, in theory that's all it would cost you. There would, however, be a labor-intensive process required to make sure the new module matched the remaining 27. The first thing you need to do is find out exactly what error codes are being reported. If the dealer said it needs a new battery, they must have done some type of diagnosis. Did they give you the codes that led them to make that conclusion? Reporting them here would allow us to give you more specific advice about what you should do and about how much it might cost.

Skibob and jerrymildred like this.
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP has two (2) attachments which has listed the OBD2 codes (DTCs), it looks like just a single cell in module (pair) #11.

Given the vehicles age, it could need a new voltage sense harness for 60ish. Add a decent module (comes with 1yr warranty), which includes new stainless steel nuts for 40'ish.

Maybe a HV led power supply (30'ish) to top balance it, and then pray it lasts a couple of years. This is assuming the pack is a virgin.

10. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go back to who you bought it from. If He will not fix it, you can get a used battery at the junk yard for around 500.00. That will get you running. Then you can save some money for either a newer car, or a proper rebuilt battery or a new one.

My friend bought a 05 6 years ago from his mechanic. The battery was rebuilt and still going strong. His 12v is starting to go. It had 120k on it now has 200k. He put very little money into it. I know the mechanic did a lot of work on it before it was purchased but I don't know what.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you got screwed deedee.

and as far as a used $500 battery at a junkyard you must be high there all stripped clean and have been for years.

and that will get you going? What that imaginary $500 junkyard battery Will telepathically get installed in her car and she can just push the start button and drive away because it’s a junkyard battery and should work just great?

12. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait a minute on the junk yard battery.
    It would not be my first choice but the budget is 500.00 . The seller should fix the battery but if not. what kind of car is he going to drive for 500 ?
    I purchased a 09 Prius with 150k 9 months ago. I was concerned about the battery and before I started looking, I looked into the cost of batteries. I was at the junk yard getting a part for my 05 Sienna and I saw batteries. I asked about the Prius and they said they pull them as soon as the car comes in. They get tested and price accordingly. They come with a guarantee but don't remember what. maybe 6 months. If it lasts a year, that gives him time to either save for a reconditioned one or a new one.

A friend of mine purchased a 04 Prius from his mechanic. The mechanic had the battery rebuilt. It is still going strong 5-6 years later.

I purchased the Sienna with 16k miles on it in 07. 1st time the radiator went oem was 400. There was no after market available. I got one from the junk yard for 100.00 It lasted 100k miles. Now a after market one is available. Put a new one in. It lasted 60k. I put in a quality new after market one.

Last year the alternator went. The car had 320,000 on it. I do not know how much longer I'm keeping the van. For 20 bucks I got an alternator. Still going strong. (I just jinxed it) I've gotten tires body parts and car parts thru the years. I have never been screwed.

In the 9 months I have had the Prius, I put on new tires, changed the plugs and am now going to fix the combo meter. The batteries were tested and I was told they are ok.

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Deedeemom2

As mentioned previously, perhaps the best plan would be to go talk to the mechanic who sold you the car. Even if we assume the car was purchased 'as-is', discuss the situation you're in. It's very likely he'll be willing to help you out. If he's experienced with rebuilding batteries, he can easily take care of it for a fair price. If you were closer to me, I'd help you out. Unfortunately, Michigan is a bit of a drive for me.

davecook89t and ToyotaGal like this.
  14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SFO likes this.
  15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "If the son has a DIY attitude and tools, there is the possibility of him fixing it for around $50 and some labor."

They also tend to burn oil. Make sure your son keeps an eye on the oil level.

#15 Skibob, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  16. Deedeemom2

Deedeemom2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you. The mechanic will not help. I am going to try and sell it. Thank you for all your help! I can't handle the stress, no garage and it's freezing in Ann Arbor. I still love Prius though! I just got a bad deal. The worse thing is the person is a mechanic teacher! I thought I was totally safe. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. We are going to wait until the weather breaks to sell.

Attached Files:

17. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update. I was afraid we scared you off. Glad you still like prii. You might want to do a vin check and see where the car lived prior. That was the deciding factor on which prii to purchase for me. I had discover it originated in Fl was registered there for 3 years. It was the purchased locally in Ma and immediately registered in MD. It lived there for a few years and then can back to Ma. It did not see road salt or winters for a lot of years. The second owner (who I purchased it from) was a very timid person. I concluded the Fl owners must have been snow birds. I originally did not want to buy this car because I always end up with a silver or grey car.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or just get under the front of the car you can tell where it lived in 15 seconds.

ToyotaGal likes this.
  19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried making contact with @ericbecky - quite likely he or someone known can sort this out, or possibly purchase it. He hasn't posted in six (6) weeks, but he has been online and might've already seen this thread. The phone contact info is on his profile page.

If nothing else, make sure he knows about this teacher / instructor, it wouldn't surprise me if maybe they know one another.

One more post, and then you're unmoderated.

20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I missed this and haven't been on in a while. If you did not sell it yet and want some advice feel free to contact bme at 608-729-4082

We may be able to work something out to get you up and running.

SFO likes this.