1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starting the search for new tires!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pleasedpriusowner, Jan 3, 2015.

1. pleasedpriusowner

pleasedpriusowner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Everyone!

Hoping that some of you will be able to give me some simple/easy to understand advice about new tires for my 2012 Prius Hatchback/Trim Level 5. According to what I read and copied down from the side of the tires, my car has P215/45R17, 87V, M+S, TOYO, Proxes, A20 tires on it. They are the original/low profile tires that came on the car and have 56,000 (+/-) miles on them. From what I can guess, they have (maybe) another 10,000 (+/-) miles left before they will actually need replaced. Given the number of miles per month I have been driving since purchasing the car in late November 2012, I should have (hopefully) 3-4 months left.

I went to the PriusChat section on tire replacement and, after spending some time there, came away completely overwhelmed. I am a retired middle and high school band director and can share all of the technical information that you would ever care to know about what the recommended mouthpiece is to get a the best response out of a Seventh grade trombonist who has fat lips...that is what I have been trained to do. I have zero knowledge about tires and DO NOT desire to become an expert on the minutiae of tires.

Having said all of that, I am seeking simple to understand advice on the replacement tires with which people have had success. Here is some further information:

1. The technical specifics (heat rating, speed rating, traction rating, tread wear rating, etc., etc.) of the current tires are the minimum specs acceptable.

2. Would like to have tires which are MUCH more quiet than the Toyo original equipment tires. The Toyo's have been noisy since day one and have gradually gotten worse/more noisy as the miles have accumulated. I wear hearing aids (too many 7th grade trombonists take their toll on one's ears) and they (the hearing aids, not the 7th grade trombonists) tend to magnify road noise. For the record, I am a bit OCD about rotating and balancing the tires and having the car aligned (4-6 times per year).

3. As stated above and at the very least, I would like to stay at the level of handling, comfort, traction, and noise of the current tires. If the "expected" mileage/longevity can be increased to 65,000-75,000 miles (I'm guessing the current Toyo's are a 50,000 mile tire), comfort/handling/traction can be improved, and noise can be decreased, that would be great.

4. Miles per gallon are the reason that I bought the Prius. The new tires need to maintain my current level of MPGs (generally 50 MPG month after month since day #1, according to the on board computer). I didn't buy the car for it to handle like a sports car or have the luxurious ride/quietness of a Bently.

5. Obviously, cost is a factor. Generally, I believe in the premise that one gets what one pays for. However, if someone has experiences paying "more" for tires and getting notable better performance and expected longevity/mileage, please share your experiences.

6. I often travel between Toledo, Findlay, and Columbus, Ohio and am willing to purchase tires in these cities. If you have suggestions about a preferred store in one of these cities, please let me know. If you suggest an on line source, please (also) explain how one goes about purchasing tires on the internet.

OK PriusChat people, let me know what you think! Thank you in advance!

Dave
    (AKA: pleasedpriusowner)

2. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have 15" rims so I can't offer specific advice on 17".
    I purchased my Prius used & put about 15K on the tires that came with it before getting new tires.
    Shortly after purchasing the Prius, I got a tire pressure gauge that had a digital tread-depth tester on the other end.
    I started checking the tread depth across each of the 4 tires - measuring the depth of each of the 4 grooves.
    I rotated the tires myself (front-back) every 5K & I logged the tread depth about every 2-3 weeks.

I found the tires that came on the Prius were wearing _very_ uniformly.

When I first got the Prius I had noted that the tires were showing signs of being under-inflated throughout their life, with the center area having more rubber showing than either side of the tires. All 4 tires were showing the same under-inflated wear pattern. That is when I started running at max sidewall pressure (44psi) to see if I could correct the wear pattern.

Short story is the tires stopped wearing unevenly, but they continued to show their previous wear pattern.
    I continue to run my tires at 44psi to this day (same on all 4).

The other _big_ thing that all this measuring did for me was to verify that the car was properly aligned. I never had any problems with the steering, it did not pull left or right at all, & tracked quite nice (for its light weight).

When I did get new tires there was no way anyone was going to screw with the alignment!
    The tires were wearing perfectly & I had no issues with the steering.
    The Prius will stay aligned until something knocks it out of alignment.

I could see where the regular tire rotation was letting the tires wear very evenly but it was a pain for me to do at home.
    Costco to the rescue - They will do (free) regular (7500 mi) tire rotation (& balance) for the life of the tires!

When I got new tires about 6 months back I too looked around at all the options.
    For my 15" tires I wanted max life & at least very good wet road performance - Michelin Defenders was what I got.
    I've got ~20K on them now, two tire rotations at Costco - & the last rotation I had one tire with a slow leak which they repaired no charge.
    The tread looks even, but I've been lazy & not measured anything since I got the new tires.

So my vote is to use Costco because of their service during the life of the tires.
    Here is a link to 215/45/17 - All-Season tires

Corporate site - Costco.com - Shop for Tires

Also go to your local library & check out tires in Consumer Reports.

Also P215/45R17, 87V, M+S - the M+S = Mud & Snow - they will be quite noisy (as you have found) compared to All Season or Summer tires, but in your winters you probably need the M+S tires.

#2 kc410, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    michelin energy saver a/s.

4. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    maybe not in 45 series 17"

5. jaglio16

jaglio16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nokian wrg3 here... Totally worth the marginal mpg loss for a vastly improved ride during poor weather.

6. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    pleasedpriusowner - May I suggest looking on the drivers door jamb to verify the correct tire size for your Prius.
    It should match the numbers you found on the tires - P215/45R17

7. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I was shopping for tires it was all about noise and comfort. I bought one of my cars with 15" some generic brand tires, they had good amount of tread but I dumped them... I was leaning towards Bridgestone Turanza Serenity plus and Michelin Primacy MXV4. Went to my local Discount Tire store and told them I need to know which is better. The manager told me that the MXV4 are getting discontinued( which I still don't know if it is true or not) and he recommended the Michelin Defender..hmm I wasn't sure because yes they are great tires but when I was doing my research I didn't see those as the best comfort tires...but I gave it a shot and yes my ride was smooth and quiet !! I don't know if the Turanza's and MXV4's a even better but I am happy with the defender. Mileage is ok I get 47/48.

On my other 2010 I have 17". The tires are Yokohama( don't know the model)... I don't know if the tires stink or the 17" show a big difference in comfort but man that car is noisy and rough ...

8. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I plan to go with Continental True Contact when I have to replace my 17's on the new 2013. We have been very happy with the same tire on our 2005 with 15's.

Merkey likes this.
  9. 2010 prius in PA

2010 prius in PA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Continue to be happy with noise/traction/fuel economy with our replacement Goodyear Assurance FuelMax tires. Also put them on my Civic and saw about a 2 mpg bump. About $100 each installed.

Merkey likes this.
  10. lizardskin

lizardskin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got tired of replacing short life tires, so check the estimated mileage (use) rating (UTQG).

I picked Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology. More importantly, rotate your tires and keep them slightly overinflated (higher than the recommended 35/33psi).