1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Static/clicking sound while car is moving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Joshman, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Joshman

Joshman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all! Newbie on the forum here. I owned a Gen 2 a while back and just bought a 2014. Anywho, all seems to be great with the car except this annoying sound I can't pinpoint. The best way to describe it is as a very light clicking, almost electric static sound. It isn't consistent, but rather comes in inconsistent bursts of clicks. I can't pinpoint the location, but it seems to be somewhere on the driver's side dash. The light clicking sound does not happen when the car is still. The sound does NOT seem to be effected by braking or acceleration. It seems worst when the car is first driven, and slowly decreases in frequency until I do not notice unless maybe at highway speed very intermittently.

I tried recording the sound, but phone won't pick it up. Searched the forums and found nothing similar. Any ideas?! Thanks in advance, and really enjoying the car otherwise! IMG_5721.JPG

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

How many miles on your Prius? How many miles have you put on it? Did it come with maintenance records? Ever have any brake work?

Our 2010 with 163 k miles has a light clicking noise in the morning. It goes away as the day progresses, but I consider it normal.

I will be changing out the front wheel bearing hub assemblies this weekend so I'll be pulling apart the brakes and lube the components.

Used to live in Wichita and spent a fair bit of time in KC:).

If it weren't for the tornadoes, we'd still be out there(y).

3. Joshman

Joshman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the reply. 153K miles. I pulled maintenance from Toyota as work was done at dealerships. Doesn't appear any brake work was done, at least not at the dealership. It doesn't sound brake related, but I know how sounds can be deceiving. Sounds almost like something in the dash. I want to say my old Gen II did the same thing, but I might not be remembering that correctly.

4. Joshman

Joshman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got a sound clip! It’s quiet, but you can definitely hear it under the steering wheel. What is this?