1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Static coming from speakers after upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ajwatuc, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I upgraded my front speaker to Focal PS165 running them off a JL audio HD 900/5 with a pioneer 5500bhs. The static gets louder when i turn up the volume. I dont think its a bad ground as i have had them before in my early days of installing. My first suspect was maybe the rca were touching so I wrapped them with electrical tape still get the noise. My next suspect is the component cables as they are cheapos from monoprice. What are your suggestions

1973 cb500 four

2. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also forgot to mention i ran all new 12ga wire. Its overkill but i had some on hand .

1973 cb500 four

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you match the speaker impedance?

4. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The speakers are 4 ohm i matched that to jl's recommendation of voltage output on the amp when i set the gains. Also i was messing with today and noticed when i changed input voltage on amp to high the static was noticeably lower but my head unit started getting static on screen and was acting weird so I turned back to low real quick

1973 cb500 four

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you could give more details about you set-up it may help us help you. Are you rear speakers stock factory and how are they wired in?

frodoz Stereo Upgrade | PriusChat

6. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rear are stock speakers wired to the head unit. I also have a 10"JL 10w1. The remote wire is the only powered wire that runs by the speaker wire and the rca but its very short runs. Like the rca is a couple inches the speakers wire are maybe 12" at most on left channel but the static is on both channels in all speakers so its gotta be a headunit problem or the amp

1973 cb500 four

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Static "usually" comes from interference, loose connections and/or bad connectors in these situations. Stated you checked connections but used cheapo component cables, so this is a good place to look. You might want consider quad shield cables if you replace them, but do not waste your money on gold plated or "Monster Cables". With all the electronics in the Prius, I choose to use standard quality quads as a precaution during the planing stage. You have quality components added, the HU has pre-amp out 4V, you have matched impedance, so at the basic level there should be no problem. Additionally disconnect the rears and see if that helps.

8. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks frodoz. Where is a good place online to get quadshielded cables any brands to look for?

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would buy them locally if you can, no waiting. I really would like to hear about your whole set-up. It helps to have the details.

10. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking i've got. Alot of different things powered and grounded to the radio like the steering wheel control interface the homelink mirror and the headunit itself. Could that be the issue?

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't go to Best Buy. Don't buy Monsters. They jack the prices. You will find the same cables at Fry's for considerably less. Take a few to shop and do not get caught in the "hype". Cables have outrageous markups at many places that sell TVs.

12. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well my tweeters are in the sqawker locations. The mids are in the door i made baffles out of half inch mdf and pu dynamat on both the inside and outside of the door i also used dynamat to seal up around the baffles. The amp is wired under the passenger seat and the right side crossover is under there with it. The other crossover is infront of the console under the dash. I plan on moving it under the passenger seat too. The 4ga power wire runs along the passenger side in the little plastic clips with the other wiring. I grounded the amp with a 3" 4ga to the bolt hole unde the passenger seat along the ridge the seat bolts too. I sanded it down to bare metal.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check the wiring/connections as I said. I have no problems with mine since end of year 2010 except the camera has been replaced.

14. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know i worked at bestbuy in highschool and got the discount and cables were usually about a third the price on discount.

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I placed my cross-overs under the other seat (drivers side) to keep electrical separation , for space and cooling. Being right next to a "Digital" amp should not be a problem like the old style amps, it's just standard practice for me.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Quality Quads does not mean the most expensive. Find a good installer and see what they use, then buy somewhere else. They have mark-up to pay their bills too.

17. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) move your crossover away from the dash

2) is the noise static similar to poor fm reception or is it a background hiss?

3) check your gain structure on your amplifier as I'm willing to bet they are set much too high

4) feed an iPod (or similar device) directly into the amp - is the noise still present?

Troubleshooting audio is easy just remember to following steps and don't keep jumping around. IDENTIFY, ISOLATE, REPAIR.

frodoz737 likes this.
  18. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1.The noise comes from both the left and right side not just the side where the crossover is under the dash.

2.The gains were set to what jl audio specs witha volt meter. However turning the gain down is basically turning the volume down. So it helps like having the volume at zero helps. The static is there but you cant here till you turn up the volume.

3.I should of thought of that. I have found that pioneer has had issues in the past with bad grounds on there rca causing static through them

I did find 3 old monster rca cables from past installs. I hooked each set up and used the JL audio spl app with a imm6 mic to measure the volume and there was no difference in static.

2010 Prius
    1973 cb500

19. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well i hooked up a ipod classic and and iphone 5 and there was no static. I have a double din sony im gonna wire up to be positive its the headunit.

2010 Prius
    1973 cb500

20. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was also doing some research and found that it was pretty common for static to come through on pioneer rca. From what i read its a grounding issue on the rca.

2010 Prius
    1973 cb500