1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Staying Cool AND Getting Great Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PriusNeckBeard, Oct 4, 2016.

1. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It can be done.

No, it CAN'T be done.

What's the deal? What gives?

Let's figure this out.

(I've read here on pc.com that A/C can really affect gas mileage...so I think we'd better look at this!)

Today, I pointed the driver's and center blowers directly at me, put the air on recirculate, and set the thermostat to 78. (it's been not too hot lately....believe it or not, that was fine). And I felt great. Really!

I remembered being at a friend's house last summer, no a/c, tons of fans, felt great

What do you do?

And how much does it actually affect mpg? Numbers appreciated, if you have them.

Let's do this right, and save some money, set some records (personal bests), and help the environment too.

- PNB

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great thread!
    i run it manually. depending on how hot the car is when i get in, i do the open rear window thingy, always in recirc and start with a comfortable fan speed and keep reducing it as much as possible as the car cools down.
    i'll even turn the a/c off and on if it gets too cool at low fan. i see a 1-4 mpg hit depending on outside temp and solar gain. i don't have tinting.
    i'm also considering filling a cooler in the morning with frozen bottles of water.

#2 bisco, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    RCO and WilDavis like this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I mostly run it manually also, except for those times when I select "Auto" and let the computers in the car do the work for me (I worry about the TractionBattery being comfortable). It's similar to when I visit my friends who have a dog - when I'm in her company, I rarely bark as there is no need to, since her bark is much louder and far more effective than mine! (…it's all to do with her evolution!) ;):rolleyes::)

RCO and bisco like this.
  4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on windows open or closed.

Most, if not all modern cars have dramatically increased drag with the windows down.

A typical AC compressor will consume ~5-8HP, don't know the rating on the Prius electric scroll, but you aren't getting that for free!

If you run with the windows up and AC off, then you will save the power that it takes to operate the compressor, that is for certain. How much it affects FE, is quite another question.

WilDavis likes this.
  5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am very thankful and fortunate to own a new Gen4 Prius. And I'm amazed at the great MPG I keep getting. To be honest I'm not even concerned with the gas mileage. :)

For 7 months, I have run the AC almost constantly (set at 65-68 degrees) and I'm averaging a steady 62 mpg in the city. That's fine for me. Couldn't be happier. This car has greatly exceeded my expectations.

RCO likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I mostly don't use AC, would guesstimate it's mpg impact at 5%.

Our usage in summer is mainly if the wife deems it necessary, following some diesel. And winter, when it's rainy and we're seriously fogging up.

In the latter I first try just setting mode to Heat/Defog, which will use a bit of surreptitious AC, and not aggressively, even when AC button is not pushed.

But yeah, there's no free lunch.

7. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Run it on auto pretty much all the time. I don't find that I need to keep it that cold (78-80 in the hottest part of the summer, which is hot here in Dallas, maybe 76-78 when it's not as hot) for it to feel comfortable though. Since I haven't tried it without, I'm not completely sure about effect on mpg. I seemed to have gained about 2 mpg since the temperatures have cooled off a bit though so maybe we will say that.

I decided being comfortable in the car is worth the mpg hit. I am more stubborn about the heater though.

RCO likes this.
  8. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Same here in central Oklahoma. When I use the A/C I run it a manual mode set to 78 Deg F, recycle air setting and on the lowest fan speed once the car cools off. I get mid to high 40's MPG around town during the heat of the summer, which for our Prius v Three is very good as far as I am concerned.

As far as the heater is concerned my wife likes to be warm. We have only used it a couple of times in the early morning while on a trip to Colorado 10 days ago. Luckily we head south for the winter so we will not use it much, or at least I hope not...:)

Kramah313 likes this.
  9. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One

#9 PriusNeckBeard, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A lot of people set recirculated air as the norm. I find that somewhat unusual, only rarely use recirc, and just temporarily, say following a diesel, or going through dusty construction.

RCO likes this.
  11. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use the air "recirc" button all the time. It is so dry and dusty here. You wouldn't believe all the dust and dirt on that white paint... a day after I wash it, there's visible dirt on the car. I sure don't want to drive around with the windows down, or vents open and have all that airborne dirt coming inside the car.

The big black Darth Vader screen attracts a lot of dust. And I'm also concerned about dust going into the hybrid vent opening. Maybe I'm being a little too picky, being a first-time Prius owner. I'm glad that car has good AC. I use it and enjoy it. Anything over 40 MPG is good! :LOL:

RCO likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do not know. Look at that nice scene in your avatar. Do you walk that beach in a space suit, lol. Anyway, two sides to each coin I guess. How about this: just set the system to "auto", what does it do? If you're running AC, likely a little recirc at the outset, then switch to fresh.

Myself, I just (cover your ears): roll the windows down.

Some threads, with varying opinions:

Outside Air vs. Inside Air Mode – What's the Difference?

Blog Post | Recirculate versus fresh-air: Tom and Ray settle one family's bet. On the line? A steak dinner. | Car Talk

How high can CO2 levels reach inside a car when air-conditioning is on recirculation? - Quora

'Recirculate' button cuts drivers' exposure to air pollution, study says - latimes

RCO likes this.
  13. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drive in pretty heavy traffic for most of my commute, so I use recirculation not to smell the other vehicles. But sometimes I will turn it off when traffic is lighter or I'm in a residential area, etc to get some fresh air. Especially when the outside temp is pleasant.

RCO likes this.
  14. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW I have always used recirculated air when I use the A/C in whatever vehicle(s) I have driven. This blurb from my owners manual also notes using recirculated air will help cool the car effectively.

Recirculating-air-cooling-mode.jpg

15. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As noted by Mendel I also roll the windows down especially this time of year when I drive around town. Admittedly a smaller town than Dallas where I will be this weekend for the OU - Texas game...;)

Kramah313 likes this.
  16. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't let the beach scene fool you. California is a desert. And I am about 8 miles inland from the coast.
    Going up to 90° again this weekend, and hot blowing dusty Santa Anna winds coming off the desert. I knew I shouldn't have washed the car yesterday. :LOL:

Perfect earthquake weather.:eek:

(I get plenty of fresh air when I park. That's when I roll down my windows... and air out the cheeseburger smell.)

RCO likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Driving in PWR mode.
    AC blasting.
    No hyper-mile driving.
    Constant 62 MPG.
    Egg McMuffin in right hand.

It's all good. :ROFLMAO:

(Thanks to Mr Toyoda.)

romr, RCO and Kramah313 like this.
  19. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ....if you hyper-mile guys traded up to a Gen4, you'd probably get 80 mpg! And never be concerned with the AC and gas mileage. :)

But this old fat dude is fine with my current mpg. And I keep 2 "Febreeze" air freshners in the car so the little woman doesn't complain about pepperoni smell. :rolleyes:

RCO likes this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let's move on, and argue about more important things, like...

"What angle is you're seat back set at???" and "Do you rest your left elbow on the door?" (y):LOL: