1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealing a Prius by Hacking the Smart Key System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mid jersey, Aug 22, 2012.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I keep nothing in the car and park it near a well light street. I believe the Toyota SOS service can allow police to work with Toyota to locate the car and kill the ignition from remote as long as the antenna has a clear shot of the sky. Perhaps the Lexus has kill capability and the Prius can only locate.

Toyota Safety Connect – SOS - Safety and Security System Service

2. FBS67

FBS67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At last report, Prii are almost the last car a thief wants to take according to the NICB. It seems the stigma even hits thieves! At any rate, I still fitted mine with the Ravelco so they will wonder why they can get in...even with the fob...and it just won't go. Oh, well, better luck next time! The supply and demand of cheap parts is also a draw for certain models...even older ones. Still waiting to hear that Prii traction batteries are on the black market. Of course, they do weigh about 100# so thieves with bad backs won't be bothering. Crash parts aren't by any means cheap for these cars, though, so a quick 5 minute door/hood/hatch strip could be lucrative enough. Blending in with some many other Prii might be a draw, too.

3. FBS67

FBS67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used Ravelco for mine. Tow truck now required, even if they have my fob.