1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth Camping: Perforated Vinyl Rear Window Inserts.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ice9, Jan 28, 2020.

1. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After a few abortive attempts, I finally completed the rear window perforated vinyl inserts for my Prius camper. See attached photos.

These are fabricated from 30 mil PETG with perforated vinyl applied to the outside surface and 20% ceramic tint applied to the inside surface.

One unanticipated benefit from using perforated vinyl is that, behind 35% tinted glass, it roughly matches the appearance of the front windows (50% tint but w/o inserts). The end result is that the stealth windows are not noticeable from distances greater than 30 ft.

50% 35% 35% window tinting was already installed in my vehicle (per local DOT regulation) prior to installation of the window inserts, so the overall tinting for the rear windows is 20% (insert) of 35% (rear window) = 7% from tinting, or 93% overall attenuation due to tinting. Add to this roughly 60% attenuation from the perforated vinyl (the equivalent of 40% tint) yields roughly the equivalent of 3% window tint (97% overall attenuation).

Last photo is with perforated vinyl inserts removed.

Work remaining: Hatch window inserts - to be completed by the end of January.

20200128_160650.jpg 20200128_144540id.jpg 20200128_144625id.jpg 20200128_144642.jpg 20200128_154415.jpg 20200128_165153id.jpg

#1 ice9, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    icyrius and George W like this.
  2. Suspi

Suspi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wow, I'm super impressed here. So you installed on this on a thin transparent sheet instead of your windows? How flexible is the whole thing?

3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like a first class job.

What is the advantage of using PETG with perforated vinyl / tint applied rather than just using black twinwall cut to size? http://tinyurl.com/jl32dk9

AndyZaa likes this.
  4. genericuser

genericuser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    @ice9 Do you have window deflectors on? What brand is that, looks sleek.

5. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

My vehicle windows were already tinted so I would have had to install the perforated vinyl to the vehicle window exterior. That would have attracted too much attention, and probably would have been in violation of local DOT regulations (installing BOTH window tint and perforated vinyl). Instead, I opted to build my own PETG inserts and apply the perforated vinyl to the cut-to-fit PETG inserts... ...with some extra tinting on the other side just for sh*ts and giggles. As it turns out, this was the best possible configurations for a vehicle that had already been tinted. As you can see in the photos, having a tinted reflective surface exterior to the perforated vinyl makes for excellent stealth optical effects.

Believe or not, most of my time was spent cutting paper dolls (dummy paper inserts, and later thin cardboard inserts) refining the window shapes until I could get it to fit without too much trouble. The cardboard templates have flexibility similar to 30 mil PETG which is necessary to form-fit test. Once I got my final cardboard templates, I used them to trace out the shapes on the PETG sheet. I then cut out the shapes with heavy duty kitchen scissors. It is extremely dangerous to use a blade to cut PETG. Though it is quicker, it takes 3 swipes to cut through the plastic, which is an accident waiting to happen (I sliced off the edge of my left index finger with a box cutter, attempting this). Some addition trimming of the cut PETG shapes is required after the initial form has been cut out.

Applying the perforated vinyl on a horizontal piece of plastic was problematic, and I would often tear the vinyl and have to start over. The solution to this was to spray the PETG surface and vinyl adhesive (black) surface with isopropyl alcohol which temporarily cut the adhesive so that you could easily pull up the vinyl off the surface to correct mistakes without applying too much stress. After getting all the wrinkles out, I re-activated the adhesive by spraying the surface with distilled water, diluting the isopropyl and then soaking it up with a microfiber towel (repeating the process three times to get all the isopropyl out). Once all the alcohol was removed and the surface was dry, the adhesive would be back to 100%. The tint film was applied on the other side of the PETG as you normally would (isopropyl was not required)

The answer to your last question is "yes". The PETG sheet has to be very flexible so you can bend the inserts to pop them into the window recesses. The 30 mil PETG sheet is perfect for this - it comes in a roll.

Flat black 3/8" pinstripe was used to seal the laminate insert edges - applied on both sides of the PETG to provide a ~3/16" light seal around the insert periphery. The reason why I chose pinstripe was that it was forgiving when pulled off during fit testing and could be easily re-applied. Once final alterations are completed and fit verified, I will fix the pinstripe with a stronger adhesive (probably super-glue).

I used gorilla tape from a local hardware store, for the insert pull tabs. These need to be applied to the edge of the insert before applying the pinstripe (otherwise the gorilla tape will just pull the pinstripe off).

I purchase all of the required materials on ebay as follows:

30 mil clear PETG sheet
    , 48" x 96" sheet - 1 roll

Perforated One Way Vision Vinyl, 48" x 60" - 1 roll

Car Solar Tint Nano Ceramic Tint Film, 60" x 120", VLT20% film - 1 roll

Matte Black Roll Vinyl Pinstriping Pin Stripe
    , 3/8" x 32 ft roll - 4 roll

#5 ice9, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  6. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Clear PETG is transparent. And with perforated vinyl, it has one-way-mirror qualities for privacy during the daytime. For night, I fabricated covers out of 1/8" black foam board - similar to your twinwall, except less flexible. I fixed the flexibility problem by cutting the foam board inserts in half and put them together again with gorilla tape, so that they could be folded to install. At night, once all interior lights are out, I can remove the foam board covers so that I can once again see out though PETG and perforated vinyl, and still have privacy. Just like a one way mirror, the only time you lose privacy is when an interior light is on. As long as there is more light outside the vehicle than there is inside the vehicle, privacy is maintained.

#6 ice9, Jan 28, 2020
  7. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

AVS 894055 low profile vent guards - fits 2018 Prius hatchback. I got mine from eBay, seller: auto_connection for $57. However, I believe auto_connection no longer provides this item, so I have provided an ebay link to a different seller. Also, you will need to shop around to get the AVS part number that fits your vehicle. AVS 894055 fits the 2018 Prius Prime, but is listed as incompatible with the 2020 Prius Prime baseline 4D hatchback (I don't know if it fits other 2020 trims).

There are (or were) a lot of bad review for AVS vent guards that cited the product as heavily scratched upon receipt. I decided to chance it and ordered a set back in August. Sure enough, upon receipt mine appeared to be heavily scratched too. Upon closer examination, however, I found that the scratch marks were on the vacuum seal / shrink wrap packaging and not on the product itself. Needless to say, I was glad that I had taken the chance and opened the packaging to inspect, as I have been very pleased with this AVS product ever since. They're perfect for the 2018 Prius Hatchback.

#7 ice9, Jan 28, 2020
  8. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Typo correction: My "300 mil PETG" should read "30 mil PETG" (now corrected)...

...Big difference.

9. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    1)you can see out pretty good.

2)it looks like "just trying to keep sun out of baby's eyes when in child seat" rather than "obviously trying to HIDE SOMETHING".

3)rolls up for easy storage if not wanted.

4)that black plastic trap sunlight heat, then the channels will act like furnace heat transfer.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  10. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    To each their own. And it probably depends on how you are Prius camping.

At night with the windows already having a legal tint, the black plastic really isn't noticeable, you just see glass from the outside. I slide them in at night, remove them in the morning. And they are flat, so the fit under the "bed" for easy storage. And the while the black does attract sunlight heat, the channels apparently act as an insulator. In the morning, the outside of the black plastic is hot, but the inside is cool. Or maybe that's just because the Prius A/C runs at night! In any event, it hasn't been an issue.

The most important factor: I am generally stealth camping. As someone who has spend over a year in the Prius if all my nights were totaled up, I will say that the #1 concern is the dreaded knock on the window in the middle of the night. If "you can see out pretty good" then they can see in pretty good, and they will have a flashlight. It's happened a couple of times and the opaque plastic has permitted me to "wait out" the knocks until they go away.

Plus since they fit in the window precisely (I have felt flap around the edges), there is absolutely no light escape, which means I can watch streaming movies or whatever before bed and then sleep in the next morning without the sun awaking me up.

Even if people walking by looked at the window and thought, "seems odd," that would be all the information they'd get. I don't want them to be able to look in and get additional information that would suggest stealth camping. Without any additional information, "someone's sleeping inside" is probably not going to occur to them.

Again, just my two cents as each person decides for their own situation what works best.

AndyZaa likes this.
  11. Pugzila

Pugzila New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dude, I love your solution. I’ve got a 2011 and I would be very interested in paying you a reasonable fee to make up a set for my glass! I sadly lack the skills and attention to detail. Spent several hours trying to build magnetic screens and gave up in frustration today. Screens and “blackout” are my new priority.

12. dewine

dewine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I love these too. I camp in my Prime all the time and have bought something similar on Amazon but they don't cover the whole window. Let us know if you decide to sell them.