1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Oct 16, 2007.

1. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, in my experience I needed it. What I did is tried everything without the resistor mod and found that the mfd wasn't working and when I turned on the lights it killed the stereo. Installed the resistor and boom it all worked. Be careful installing the resistor since the 2 wires you need to bridge are very thin. I took my time scraping the insulation off so I wouldn't go too deep and cut the wire.

2. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, all I did was follow the instructions.

3. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    technically if you're keeping the stock radio powered with the BHA1761, you shouldn't need the resistor.

4. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did and I still needed the resistor. The steering wheel module isn't installed in the original instructions for stealth and may have created a loop.

5. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the axxess going without the resistor and the stock radio powered and A/C controls worked. I didn't wire the axxess in properly though, so I had other problems with that. I ended up using a Metra 70-8114 harness and then needed to do the resistor mod since the data plug wasn't going into the stock radio anymore.

6. JohnRamboJedi

JohnRamboJedi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reading through this thread, is this a list of everything needed in order to do a Stealth install in a 2005 JBL equipped Prius;

TYTO-01 Harness Amazon.com: Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness: Electronics

71-1761 Harness Amazon.com: Metra 71-1761 87 - 94 Toyota Vehicle Harness: Electronics

and

(Optional) Axxess Steering Wheel Control Amazon.com: Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black): Car Electronics

Also this is the deck I am thinking about getting, would this whole set up work? Amazon.com: JVC KD-HDR71BT Single Din CD/MP3/HD Radio Receiver With Dual Aux and USB, Bluetooth, and Pandora Control Through iPhone: Electronics

Anybody who has done the Stealth set up with the JBL equipped Prius please feel free to chime in, any help would be greatly appreciated!

7. JohnRamboJedi

JohnRamboJedi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or would this be all thats needed for a 2005 JBL equipped Aftermarket install?

PAC TATO Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

And Optional SWI-RC (For the JVC Single DIN unit listed above) Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

With these products would I also need the 71-1761 Harness? Amazon.com: Metra 71-1761 87 - 94 Toyota Vehicle Harness: Electronics

Im trying to figure out whats the proper way to install a deck like while retained the JBL system without any problems. Again, any help would be appreciated.

8. Boston2008Gen2

Boston2008Gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    ===========
    I have a question--> I do not like JBL audio quality and I want to install after market audio unit. I do not want to use stock JBL amplifier (under passenger seat) as well. I do not care about steering wheel controls as well. So what is your advice installing a aftermarket unit? How to install it - please help. Thank you.[/quote]

9. Duhockey

Duhockey New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, for some reason, Im having a couple problems with this one. Ive installed probably 10-15 aftermarket decks, I dont have the JBL and the only thing I dont understand is Im using both the bha 1760 and bho 1761, and everyone says if you use both of these you wont have to use the resistor and you wont have any MFD or A/C problems. So I did that and then installed the Metra ASWC harness. How does adding the ASWC harness cause it to then again need a resistor? And then when I read the Metra instructions for what wire to put the resistor in, it seems like it comes from the same connector that the ASWC plugs into. So can someone clarify for me what wire you add the resistor to when using the Metra ASWC? Thanks so much,

10. Duhockey

Duhockey New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, so the resistor has to go in one of those wires then? that makes a little more sense... See my above post. Its gotta be that white wire on the Steering wheel control right? Im just worried if I cut that and add the resistor back in that the SWC wont work.

Edit: I apologize, theres alot of info on about 3 different threads and its all spread out and stuck between a bunch of non-tech questions. I have read these threads several times, watched the videos, and looked at the pics etc.

11. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Resistor duos not go on the steering control wiring harness.

SCH-I535 ? 2

12. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I remember correctly, it's the pink and white wires on the stock prius wiring for the stereo. It definitely says the correct wires in the stealth forum or the factory installation pdf. I just don't have time to look it up right now.

13. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry disregard or delete

14. Duhockey

Duhockey New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, yeah, got everything working, put in the Kenwood powered sub and it sounds great. It was the Pink and White wires on the vehicle side of the connector that plugs into the ASWC connector. I realized that if you dont use the ASWC to maintain the steering wheel controls, you can just plug that connector back into the original deck and since the original still has power it acts as the resistor. Thanks for all the help!

15. Hetene

Hetene Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read all the 11 pages and still have a question: wiring!
    What to combine with what? Pinouts for Prius stock radio is kind of top secret and Google can't help here.
    Done anyone have the pinouts? All photos and videos do not focus on that at all, strange.
    What I have in my Prius is:
    2012-09-11 21.34.04.jpg

Colors are not matching with Pioneer I wish to install. So... anyone can assist here?
    Thanks!

16. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks F8L for the very informative videos, without you I would have had to take my car to Best Buy...I work there, however, working on my own install was a great project and I have already gotten a lot of my friends to get new audio equipment for their cars as well. Since I have the JBL amp what I did was get a kit from schoshe that turned the factory harness into 2 pairs of rcas that I plugged into the back of my radio. My new kenwood deck sounds way better than stock, even without tuning the bass is way tighter and doesn't drown out the other frequencies like it did with the stock deck. Couldn't get the steering wheel controls to work, oh well im going to return it and get my money back

17. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you not buy the wiring harnesses recommended? Like the guide says, using the wiring harnesses makes it much less painless and easier to revert to stock.

18. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely get the harness, the colors on the harness should then match up with your aftermarket stereo.

iPad ? HD

19. Hetene

Hetene Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in Cambodia and couldn't wait for 7-days of ebay shipping, so I went to a local market where I get second-hand connectors, from different parts of the world :) That is why I couldn't rely on colors, needed to know exactly who is who.
    Later on I realized the colors do match between Pioneer and connectors from the market. But stock Prius connectors' colors do not match absolutely :)
    Anyway, the installation gone smoothly. Sound quality is incomparable.

The only thing I would advise to others who want to run the installation on their Prius: make sure the aftermarket radio has a detachable bezel. Mine had a fixed one and that was a super painful thing.
    This is my radio, bezel is fixed, can't be removed:
    [​IMG]
    That is a normal bezel for other radios:
    [​IMG]

I needed to cut my Prius panel with a semi-transparent cover heavily to fit the bezel. That took me 2 days after work. And after that I have a surprise - the cover doesn't close, it meets the bezel before closing and now I need to cut the cover...again.
    I will post the final photos of my setup when done.
    Hopefully today.

20. Hetene

Hetene Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here it is.
    The plastic was cut in many places to fit the ***king unremovable Pioneer bezel.
    Sound is great. Next step - to apply vibro insulation on 4 doors.

Attached Files: