1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Boston2008Gen2

Boston2008Gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Hetene==> Your system install looks great. Are you using JBL amp or are you bypassing it?
    Also, what do you see in Audio screen of MFD? None of the steering control work obviously - correct? Thanks

2. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do the resistor mod, the audio screen will say "Audio Off" all the time. If you keep the stock radio powered, the power button and mode buttons will turn it on but nothing comes out of the speakers of course. The mode button on the steering wheel also turns the radio on if you don't change the steering wheel controls.

iPad ? HD

3. Boston2008Gen2

Boston2008Gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Thanks !! I don't have the plan to do the resistor mod. This means,

1. My MFD Audio display will show -- CD (if in CD mode) / FM (in FM mode) - however nothing comes out of speaker - Correct?
    2. What about Steering volume control? - Does it take effect?
    3. After market single din is hooked in through (70-1761 / 71-1761) connector setup. This mean JBL is driving my speaker now? or JBL is out of loop? - Please explain.
    4. Also is there any way to use volume control button on steering wheel to aftermarket?

Thanks

4. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For steering wheel controls, use the axxess in my signature, i got mine off Amazon.

SCH-I535 ? 2

5. Hetene

Hetene Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I have no JBL, so using only the Pioneer unit connected to the speakers. MFD work as usually but without beeps. And stock radio doesn't give any sounds because the wires toward speakers are going from Pioneer :)
    Steering controls work as before but sound surely isn't working anymore :)

6. lizzard123

lizzard123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the info everyone! My head is spinning after reading this thread over and over again trying to plan my install from the instructions listed here.

Just to clarify: I want to install my Pioneer unit along with the Axxess ASWC. What I've gathered, in order to do a stealth install with the ASWC, is it unnecessary to use the BHO-1761? Would I instead use the resistor mod?

As for the resistor mod, is it possible to use something like the "6096B Auxiliary & A/C Retention Harness" from the Scosche TA2103B double DIN kit instead of doing my own resistor mod? I would love to be able to purchase the 6096B harness without the double DIN kit if possible since I'm planning on leaving in the factory stereo. I thought about this after seeing success with a double DIN install in another thread: How To: Upgrade Head Unit (Kenwood eXcelon DNX6960) | Page 9 | PriusChat

Here's a link to the Scosche TA2103B PDF which includes the part:
    http://www.scosche.com/ecom/download/TA2103B.pdf

7. Jonathan Padilla

Jonathan Padilla New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello Sir,

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius, the basic model, no nav,

I just recently order all this

I want to do what you exactly you did and im going to attempt it,

do i need any more items for my installation,
    Please let me know,

my email is alex121592@yahoo

Sony MEX-GS600BT CD Receiver w/ App Remote & Bluetooth
    In Stock
    Sony XSGT1638F 6.5" Car Speakers
    In Stock
    Sony XSGT1638F 6.5" Car Speakers
    In Stock
    TOYO PRIUS 05-MS
    In Stock
    Metra 70-1761C Wire Harness for Toyota/Scion/Lexus/Geo 87-up
    In Stock
    Toyota Prius Kit 2004-up, I
    In Stock
    Toyota Wire Harness speakers, 12" Leads
    In Stock
    Toyota SAPs 2000-up, 5.25"/6.5"
    In Stock
    Toyota Wire Harness speakers, 12" Leads
    In Stock 1
    Toyota SAPs 2000-up, 5.25"/6.5"
    In Stock

8. dj feitl

dj feitl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 07 with JBL and NAV (ive heard its a bit different when you have JBL and an 07), i would like to know if i need the same harnesses, metra axxess steering wheel mod, etc as everybody else.

Will the wire colors be different as well?

(somebody could make my life so easy if they listed out everything i need to do a stealth install, upgrade all my speakers, upgrade the current amp under passenger seat, and put in another amp to power the 12" sub i have!) (y)

9. cww

cww Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you ever figure out which pins of the oem harness are used. I just went and cut a harness out of another Toyota to avoid ordering the BHO 1761 and need to know which three wires to use.

10. cww

cww Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

11. Cedarleaf

Cedarleaf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello-

I am going to do this install this weekend, but I can only find this harness: AW-WHTY2

Can anyone tell me the other part number I need for a harness OEM-to-OEM?

12. skarim

skarim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot to the original poster! Works like a charm on my 2009 Prius and looks great. Love the fact that I didn't have to put in a resistor if you use the 2 harnesses. It was a little bit intimidating taking apart the dash, but the rest was easy.

13. caleb smith

caleb smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just want to make sure before I do this that I will be able to hook up RCA's into the back of the aftermarket headunit to an amp? Or do I need different harnesses to connect to the factory radio??

14. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

For some reason I couldn't get the mfd to work without the resistor mod. It's been a few years since I did it, but I wired up using the two harnesses, too. Good for you!

15. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

You should be able to do it with a modern aftermarket head unit. Which one are you looking at? Provide a link and I'll let you know. Otherwise, it should say "RCA out" somewhere in the specs.

16. caleb smith

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was actually going to ask for a nice recommendation. Budget around $150. I'm wanting to do an "overkill" with subs and amps. I just heard in the second video, that "since he had an aftermarket amp, he had to route the wires through the door panel and t-tapped the harness. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just wondering if this stealth install will still allow me to go overkill on stuff. As I will also be changing out the door speakers in the future. Thanks :)

17. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I ran a hideaway sub underneath my drivers seat. I got a cheap wiring kit from amazon and ran the rca's from the back of my head unit to the hideaway (amp/sub). It's easy to run the power from the starter battery (in the trunk) to the sub and I just grounded to a seat post bolt. Super easy and it sounds good. Enough boom for me without rattling apart my car and no trunk space used for a sub.

The head unit I got: Amazon.com: Sony DSXS310BTX Bluetooth Digital Media Receiver with Pandora Control: Car Electronics ($217) for the pandora feature which I don't end up using. The head unit has a crappy interface which I don't like but everything else I do. I've been buying head units for ever and always went with Pioneer up until this point.

Remember hit "Like" on a post if it's helpful. ;)

caleb smith likes this.
  18. caleb smith

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds awesome. But I love the kind of bass that shakes everything lol. That's why I want to do an overkill install. So if I do the stealth install this way? I should have no problem hooking an amp up and subs? I won't have to t tap anything? Along with other door speakers??

19. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just finished a stealth installation of a my JVC KD-R530 aftermarket radio in my newly acquired 2005 Prius (my first mod!). Thanks to all the information available here on PC, I was able to complete the job with only minimal issues. I have JBL system, so I had to buy the TYTO-01 amplifier interface to make it work. Here's some photos from the install:

In Progress 1.jpg

Ready to mount 3.jpg

In Progress 2.jpg

Finshed 1.jpg

The door closes nicely with the faceplate attached (y)
    Finished with door closed 1.5.jpg

Thanks again to everyone on PC for all the information that helped me do this installation successfully!

20. caleb smith

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay can somebody please help me here as i am a bit confused. Sorry, I'm new to this type of stuff. So I have 5 harnesses here. And in the video only 3 are used? Can someone tell me which harnesses in this picture I use? Sorry if it's a dumb question

Attached Files: