1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    F8L,
    Did you install new thicker gauge speaker wires to each speaker? If you did was it hard to get through the doors? If you used the factory speaker wires, does all the power from the amp get to the speakers and if you noticed any issues.
    I want to replace all my speakers, HU, Amp(100w x 4) and would like to use the existing speaker wires.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :pound:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :redface:

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I ran 14ga wire through the doors. It was not a problem as I remember it. I forgot exactly how I did it though as it's been awhile and wasn't difficult enough to remember. lol

The reason I ran new wire was because I am putting 200Watts to each component set and each run is about 15' long or so. With 40Watts rms I wouldn't bother with new speaker wire. :)

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    YOU are never riding in the back seat. :p

5. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's going to be 100rms x 4, do I need to run new speaker wire or can I get away with factory?

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would. At least to the front speakers since they are usually adjusted for higher volume and the rear are used for fill so they generally will not see maximum power. At the shop we always run new wire for anything over about 40 Watts RMS.

1 person likes this.
  7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey F8L, does this allow the original CD player to still be used? or is the old unit rendered completely useless?

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The old unit is completely useless. :) If you choose a good aftermarket stereo you will never want to use the stock one ever again.

1 person likes this.
  9. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh okay thanks. The reason I asked is because I bought an Alpine X303, which to me should be a fantastic unit, but it doesn't have a CD player inside. It's just for ipod

10. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sigh.. the unit powers on but none of the speakers work. I think I'll have to take it in to Best Buy and have them install it.

11. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I figured it out, and for future reference for new modders....

There are live wires coming out of one of the wire harnesses from the stock prius radio. You have to tape these up otherwise your speakers will short and no sound will be played

12. kwasmart

kwasmart cool member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I have a 2004 w/ nav but the radio has died on me. I see the power light on and it's not turning off after shut and I am worried it may drain my regular battery overnight. I need help in disabling the power and maybe replace it something that works. I have 169k on this baby and i love it as a commuter car.
    thanks
    Martin N.

13. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like your installation as the pictures (the Kenwood is installed at the storage place and leave the OEM unit intact).

I would like to install the Kenwood KDC-X994 (in the storage place and leave the OEM unit intact) in my 2006 Prius without JBL; would you please help me with some questions below:

1-Do I need to buy ISO Din head unit part number 99-8213?
    2-Do I need to buy two sets of connectors BHA1761 and BHO-1761?
    3-Is there any thing else I need to buy beside the KDC-X994, BHA1761 and BHO-1761?

Thank you very much.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #1 No, you do not need any extra parts. There is a factory Toyota bracket already in the car that the Kenwood will bolt into.

#2 The 2 connectors made everything easier to wire up for me. You could probably just use t-taps to get 12v switched, 12v constant, and ground to the Kenwood unit but that would only work if you plan on NOT using the factory speaker wires. There are a lot of ways to wire the stereo but this seemed to be the least complicated and ensured the factory stereo stayed hooked up which is required to keep the car's computer from freaking out.

#3 Nope. That is all you need as long as you keep the factory stereo plugged in. If you take it out of the loop then you will have to do the resistor mod.

I apologize if I do not remember everything exactly as it has been years since I wired this up and I've had a lot of chemo since then (my brain is fried). :)

On a side note - I notcied that when the sun is hitting the face of the Kenwood, or any other stereo that uses and infrared remote, the remote will not work. By closing the door on the storage unit you reduce sun interference and the remote works again. Just a tip in case you are driving with the sun setting behind you and feel like you just HAVE to use the remote control. ;)

15. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello F8L,

Thank you very much for your help. It's very clear, I will buy this unit sometime before Christmas for my daughter car for her 18 Birthday (mainly for safety handfree phone bluetooth).

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad I could help. :)

My installed used a Kenwood stereo but nearly any name brand car stereo will work just fine. Choose a stereo that fits your needs and your budget. It doesn't have to be a Kenwood. :)

17. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Old thread, but nice mod. Will have to do this 1 too

1 person likes this.
  18. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I need your help.

I installed the Kenwood KDC-X994 to my daughter car (no JBL) everything works except the three buttons on the right hand side steering wheel won't work (Air recirculate, Front windshield air flow and real windshield heater buttons). Air condition, temp up/down buttons are working fine (the one in the left steering).

1-No 68 Ohm resistor and 20 pin connector is plug in to the unit --> three buttons above won't work.

2-I used 68 Ohm resistor connect between pin 9 and 10 (pink and white of 20 pin connector) unplug to the old unit ---> three buttons above won't work.

3-I used 68 Ohm resistor connect between pin 9 and 10 (pink and whiter of 20 pin connector) plug to the old unit --->three buttons above won't work.

The three buttons in the picture below (I took the picture of F8L).

Any suggestion to fix this problem?

Attached Files:

19. rknathan

rknathan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hi F8L,

Thanks for the detailed photos and instructions. I want to know what kind of connectors you used for connecting two audio wires together. I am a novice stereo installer and I am inspired by your instructions.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The most secure way is to solder the two wire ends together then insert the soldered ends into a "wire nut"

The easy and most common way is to use a butt (crimp) connector and insert one wire end into one end of the connector then using a crimping tool, crimp the end of the connector. Do the same for the other side. The tools you need can be found at any hardware store or Radio Shack.

In my install I used butt (crimp) connectors and t-taps. T-taps are small connectors that clamp onto a wire and create a connection by piercing the wire. You then put a "spade" connector on the other wire you want to connect and plug it into the t-tap connector. These are the most prone to failure type of connections though so I generally don't recommend them.

I am using my phone to post so I can't link to pictures. I'll update this post with more clear instructions later. :)

Update:

Here are a couple videos that explain the procedure much better than I can. :)

I hope this helps!