1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the excellent info, video's and pdf. Really appreciate it.

I'm trying to see if it's possible to have a single-din dvd player (motorised screen) in the stealth position, but I worry about whether the screen will actually clear the original stereo etc.

Is there a way to get a dvd player (1-Din) in the stealth, which doesn't have a screen, and have it's output on the Prius system tft screen?

If that's not possible, the it looks like having to replace the standard unit with a double-din touch-screen dvd player.

2. np27np27

np27np27 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks for the install instructions. ;)

I installed an aftermarket unit into a 2009 prius with no problems. Instead of the two different cables mentioned in the 1st post and splicing them together, i bought this cable adaptor from ebay hXXXp://ebay.co.uk/itm/180590129618, connected the two prius cables to this adaptor and left the 20 pin plug in the stock radio. Put it all back together and all was fine.

I can confirm that the steering wheel volume, mode, and radio fwd/back buttons stop working after the install. However all the climate controls and windows heater buttons are still working.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to get those steering wheel radio controls working again i would love to know!! :nod: Thanks.

3. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are great instructions, and I'm about to do this install myself. I'm looking for the equivalent Metra wiring kits, and I just wanted to make sure that I have the correct parts. I believe the parts are Metra 70-1761, and the 71-1761 to hook back into the stock radio. If someone could verify that, it would be much appreciated!

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds and looks to be the correct harnesses. You should be good to go. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You must use a steering wheels control adapter like this: iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

usbseawolf2000 detailed the install of one in his double DIN install thread. :)

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...pgrade-head-unit-kenwood-excelon-dnx6960.html

6. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just completed the stealth install in my Prius and it looks great! The install was simple; the hard part was finding a spot for the Sirius satellite tuner and running the antenna (but your guide doesn't cover that so no problem there). I can confirm that the Metra 70-1761 and 71-1761 are the correct equivalent parts to the Best Kits. The only issue is that my Alpine HU has a flip down front face and either it's too large or it's mounted slightly too high, so it doesn't flip down. Did I mount it incorrectly or is there a solution?

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    RyC,

Could you provide a picture for us to see what is going on? You may need to shave off a bit of plastic on the inner top of the smoked cover. I know a few people have had to do that to get enough clearance. My unit is also a flip down but it cleared everything without shaving. It shouldn't be a big deal and you only have to take of the smoked cover from what I remember.

8. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a shot of the stereo, i'm sorry if it's hard to see. The top of the stereo is pushed right up to the top edge so it doesn't flip down if I push the button, but if I hold the button down I can still pry it off. I don't know if I want to file it, so I probably will just leave it; I never use the CD player anyway.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write all this up! I have never, ever worked on a car or car audio before, but your guide gave me the guts to just go for it, and I'm so glad I did.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad it worked out and you didn't run into any major issues. You did a great job!

I think you could use a bit of sandpaper to create enough clearance for the faceplate to operate correctly. If you're happy with it as is then that's good enough for me. :)

10. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like this idea, if I could plug it into the aux part of the stock stereo. I would somehow have to split the receiver if i wanted to use the stock radio.. anyone have an idea the easiest way to do this?

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you explain why you would want to do that? It is possible.

12. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like to leave cars as stock as possible for resale value. Having the an aftermarket head unit would give me better sounding audio, usb, and bluetooth through the aux port. Also, it would give me steering wheel controls for the radio if I so chose.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You would not be able to make any adjustment to the aftermarket stereo through the steering wheel so the only adjustment your could use is volume.

I think you would be better served by doing the normal install. There is not wire cutting or permanent modification so returning to stock is very quick and easy plus you'll have better sound quality using the aftermarket stereo as the main source.

14. jeffvk

jeffvk New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just did the install. The new stereo works but not the AC. Help?

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you use the 2 harnesses like we talked about so that the factory stereo can power on? Have you tried to power on the factory stereo just to ensure it is getting power?

16. jeffvk

jeffvk New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. The radio "turns on", no sound obviously. I'm sure it's something simple, because everything else seems to work.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried driving it around a bit? I had a couple of instances where the big triangle popped up but after a couple of miles it turned off.

I stalled a unit last spring from someone and the AC and blank screen popped up. We drove the car around the block but the error was still there. so I took everything apart and unplugged the factory stereo harness then plugged it back in and everything worked perfectly. It was weird.

18. jeffvk

jeffvk New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry check that, the computer above the factory stereo "shows" the radio stations but in fact the stereo does not power up.

19. jeffvk

jeffvk New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For what it's worth I don't get an error message, everything is just grayed out. Any ideas? Should I redo the harness powering the factory stereo?

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can hit the power button on the factory stereo and see radio stations pop up then it's getting power. I'm guessing that you are experiencing the little glitch I see sometimes. If you have not already put everything together then try unplugging the harness then plug it back in. if you have put everything back together then go for a short drive and see if it goes away. You could also try disconnecting the 12v battery for 10 seconds.