1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth prevent glove box from opening -- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnny Cakes, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not looking to actually "lock" the upper glove box (in dash, in front of passenger), just be able to make the push button inoperable (i.e. it won't push in) or something like that that prevents casual access.

Scenario #1: Meth-head breaks window and is quickly searching the car for valuables. The glove box button doesn't work and he moves on looking elsewhere in the car before fleeing.

Scenario #2: Valet parker is "inquisitive" and wants to open the glovebox.

I'd like to make the glove box not an "easy open" to address those situations.

1. I am not looking for suggestions to hide valuables elsewhere. This is not about that. Rather, I have a mod installed in the glovebox that I do not want the meth-head or the valet to be able to easily access.

2. I'd like to keep the OEM look of the glovebox as much as possible.

3. Quick/easy engagement a plus. A hidden button that somehow does something that prevents casual access would be ideal.

4. I'm not looking for a solution that would withstand an attach with tools. I surely realize that the glove box is going to surrender to a crowbar in a matter of seconds. I just want to prevent casual access.

5. I'm pretty good with tools and electronics and can fabricate stuff.

Given those parameters, any suggestions?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you want this feature for only the upper box? Then it seems like you could probably make something accessible through the lower one that would get in the way of the upper button, or something.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First thing that comes to mind are those slips of paper or plastic that they put in devices that are sold with batteries included to keep that batteries from discharging... You could put something similar to that underneath both glove box buttons so when you push the button it won't go down. Once you get it figured out please post a picture. Seems like it would be a cool addition to add to most any Prius... My cheap $15 wireless back up headphones I kept in the glove box were stolen because I didn't have something like this.

4. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is a good idea -- I took a look and it seems like it might be possible, pretty easily.

Found this, but does anyone have a better schematic of the glove compartment latch mechanism?

upload_2022-7-10_19-21-57.png

#4 Johnny Cakes, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  5. KamiKKazi

KamiKKazi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Easiest way I could think of is you could put a screw in a non viable location so it holds the top shut

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got it!

A 3D printed cover that fits over the top and bottom button but are connected, which prevents the buttons from being depressed.

The trick would be to make the cover look like something that couldn't be pulled off if you were on meth and just broke a Prius window and were "running out of time" to find some stuff to take. :)

7. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ChapmanF has the solution I went with and it works great.

Parts:
    A very small rod, basically coat hanger diameter.
    A rigid plastic tube that the wire just fits in

Schematic:
    [UPPER LATCH][rigid plastic tube]--------------------------------------rod---------------------------------[rigid plastic tube]

As Chapman suggested, with the lower glove box open, you can acess the upper glove box button. There is a small gap under where the upper door closes, this is where the tubes will be installed

Assembly:
    1. Drill small hole in the upper glove box button. Given the space limitations, I used a 90 degree drill on a Dremel
    2. Attach one of the tubes on either side of glove compartment with rod installed in the tubes. In other words, the tubes ae at the front of the glove compartment, and the tubes/rod are parallel with the front of the glove compartment The tube next to the latch lines up the rod with the hole in the glove box button. The tube on the other side keeps the rod captured. The rod is suspended between the two tubes.

Operation:
    Open lower glove compartment; reach under the upper glove compartment lip and slide the rod to the left, into the glove box button. The rod prevents the button from being pushed in.

Cost:
    I got the plastic tube from Amazon for a couple of bucks. It is important the the tube is pretty small because the tolerance is very close. Too big and the glove box door won't close.

Time:
    This write-up took longer than the build.

PriusCamper likes this.