1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth Radar Detector install in visor.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by rrg, Dec 18, 2012.

1. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a used driver side sun visor from ebay for $35.00. wasn't going to ruin my good one.

I cut up a space and the mirror to fit the radar detector to be on top of the visor but still below the windshield from the front. I still need to clean up the install this spring when I have more time.
    I'll move the wire into the visor arm so it's hidden completely. I also want to add an elastic band to hold it in place when I flip it.

It works but it not perfect because it's a little hard to flip down the visor. So I just leave it up almost always. (sunglasses work fine) The visor is now weaker without the top support area I removed.

Best part is the mute button is a finger tip away.

Here's what is looks like so far.
    [​IMG]

Here is the inside view with visor up. You only see a little bump.
    [​IMG]

Here is the front view of the windshield with the flash used on the camera to better expose the detector.
    [​IMG]

Here is the normal view with out the flash. It's completely hidden from front view.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy.

2. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    those typically have a rear facing laser that needs to go through the rear window to be effective. If you look at the upper left corner of the top of the detector you will see it. If that isnt shining at the rear window I dont think you are getting as much protection as you think you are.... The instruction book usually talks about it.

AFAIK everything north of virginia allows you to use a detector anyway so why hide?

3. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My main concern is the times I coast (hyper-mile), a little too much down a hill and someone is waiting at the bottom or at the end of a blind turn. The rear detection is blocked with this setup but with my driving style I don't think I need it.

The reason I did it, is so it can be hidden when I forget to bring it in or when I do get pulled over it's not an issue. Begging for a warning or a seat belt ticket is more plausible IMO.

My friends hear the detector boot up for the first time and say "Cool car, it has a built in radar detector" and I say "Yes" (he, he,he). I don't tell them where it is.

5. tah

tah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Losing the rear laser detection (or the front for that matter) isn't something to worry about.

When your laser detector goes off all it means is you should go ahead and pull off the road to get your ticket. Laser is EXTREMELY directional and when your laser detection beeps your car has been targeted and the speed has been read. There's no "stray" laser for your detector to pick up like the X, K and Ka radar that sprays all over the place, bounces off other cars, signs...etc.

Even with "regular" radar if you top a hill and they're using "instant on" you won't get a warning beep until it's too late. The better detectors will pick up "stray" radar IF the cop is shooting cars ahead of you. Sometimes up to a mile or more down the road. But if no one is ahead of you, or if the cop didn't think they were worth "shooting" because their speed looked normal, all bets are off.

If you want protection from laser you need a jammer which is highly illegal, not to mention expensive for the ones that truly work. You can get them but you sure don't want to get caught with one! If you live somewhere they use laser frequently the only truly viable option is to slow down.