1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering column adjustment issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Root3, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Root3

Root3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 3rd gen prius 2010 Japanese import and I loosened the nut on telescopic lever shaft for a different project. Unfortunately, the nut does not re-tighten nor completely come off. Now the lever is flaccid and does not lock up at all. I looked pretty much everywhere but I couldn't find anything relevant to the mechanism. Pics below.
    Does anyone have experience with this problem?

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It appears that the assembly uses a “ prevailing torque nut ” that would require the use of a back- up wrench. This special nut is probably, precisely torqued and controls the clamp force of the mechanism. Your photos shows a flange nut that has a flat sided surface to accommodate a thin ( special) wrench. This is most likely where you need to hold while you tighten the collared, prevailing torque nut.

Root3, Johnny Cakes and Robert Holt like this.
  3. Root3

Root3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks heaps! :) Just wondering do you have experience with this problem or are you a mechanic?

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No personal experience with this mechanism but understand fundamentally how it works.
    Secondly, yes, I am/was a mechanic for 45 years or so. In fact I have been involved in the automotive industry in serveral capacities.
    Thanks for asking.

Root3 and Raytheeagle like this.