1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Column rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jveatch, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jveatch

jveatch Junior Member

When I go over a rough gravel road, there is a rattle that is definitely in the steering column. How is this fixed? Is it a simple tightening of something? My Prius is a 2006 with 180,000 miles.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you done all the recalls on the car? there was a recall on the steering

Recall Date:
    NOV 14, 2012
    Model Affected:
    2006 Toyota Prius
    Summary:
    Toyota is recalling certain model year 2004-2009 Prius vehicles manufactured August 5, 2003, through March 30, 2009. The affected vehicles have a steering intermediate extension shaft assembly built with metal splines that complete the connection from the steering wheel to the steering gear. These splines may have been manufactured with an insufficient hardness.
    Consequences:
    Over time, the splines may wear and eventually fail resulting in a loss of steering ability, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
    Remedy:
    Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the extension shaft and replace it if it is one with insufficient hardness, free of charge. The recall began during December 2012. Owners may contact their Toyota dealer or the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/toyota/prius/recalls/#ixzz2pDcaTp3N

3. batousai

batousai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to say this but I think the problem is the steering column. They are known to go bad even in the 2nd Generation. Do you feel a tug when you turn your steering wheel more than 90 Degrees? I tried to get Toyota NA to cover this entirely but Jim Lentz's secretary only offered a 50% discount to the a total repair costs of $2650 from the stealership.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Get the car to the dealer for the recall ASAP. The shaft can completely let go, and you can loose control. A very serious situation.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There was a recall on the steering column this year. Check with your local dealer to see if it applies to your car. Definitely get your car checked out.

Details on the recall are attached to this message.

Attached Files: