1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Intermediate shaft worn - will dealer deny warranty because of lowered vehicle?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Grren4ever, May 18, 2016.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hello folks,

It's been a while since I have posted here - My beloved 2013 prius is having its first problem. The steering intermediate shaft is worn and I hear clicking when I move my steering wheel left to right. My buddy who works at Toyota as a technician diagnosed this. The car still tracks straight and drives normally. There's just a little bit of play in the feel of the steering wheel.

Unfortunately, he said he can't help me get a new part and this issue won't be covered under warranty since I lowered the car with coilovers. I read somewhere in the past that dealerships actually have to prove that the modification you've done caused the problem you are experiencing. So I left the dealership after my maintenance service / oil change and wondering what to do now

I'm sure if I bring this up next time and arrange to have it done, then the first thing they will tell me is that I've lowered the car and the different angle has caused stress on the components and therefore they won't cover the part.

And...I know all of you might say - it's your damn fault for lowering the car! Well I've only lowered it one inch, and....I know that the prius plus models come with 1" lowering already so I highly doubt that Toyota would offer TRD lowering springs on a car that wasn't meant to take it.

Any pointers on what to do from now would be nice.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not know Canadian law. Nothing I tell you might be true in Canada.

In the US, your warranty would be with Toyota, not with a dealer. Toyota regional would be who decided your claim.

In the US, the the Federal Trade Commission says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage. If it really was a Toyota TRD part that would help your claim, as it is less aftermarket.

Again, I doubt any of this applies in Canada.

Grren4ever likes this.
  3. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get a case a beer for your buddy.....and tackle that shaft at home

Fostel and Grren4ever like this.
  4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    only if the OP is ready to take Toyota to the court.
    full disclosure: i'm not a lawyer.

5. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hence put original coils springs back then retry.

LG-H901 ?

Fostel likes this.