1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering locked up today - barely made it home. HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SusanBuchert, May 21, 2017.

1. SusanBuchert

SusanBuchert New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I went over a speed bump today, I heard a strange "PTHTHTH!" sound. The red triangle of death immediately came on, and it took extraordinary effort to turn the steering wheel. I am now home, and could barely turn the wheel to park.

What could this be? Have I lost power steering? I have driven cars without power steering, and none were as resistant to turns as this.

If it is "just" the power steering, is it dangerous to drive? What could happen to the car?

Also, what other issues could it be? Am I looking at a huge repair bill?

BTW, this is a 2006 generation 2 Prius, and is the first problem I've had in 11 years. I love my car, and hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

TIA,
    Susan

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends on what actually happened. Step one is to read the codes.

I wouldn't exactly say it's safe to drive like that. Might not be able to steer out of trouble.

This video might help.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on read the codes.

If you can safely turn the wheel then it should be fine to drive assuming it is just the power steering. That's the reason why vehicles are built with manual control required in the event of a power systems failure. The same thing will happen with your brakes if the power brakes fail. Make sure you know what "standing on the pedal" means in that scenario.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Great video above, fun to watch. How did we function as a society before YouTube?

Ditto, read the code(s). There are about 30 of them for the power steering. You can try a free scan at Autozone or similar, but a generic scanner might not read many of the Prius-specific codes. You may need to buy a scanner ($20 and up) or pay Toyota $100+ to do it.

From the noise you got at a bump, I'd guess it was the worst-case scenario of the electric assist motor.

First check the 50A EPS fusible link in the junction block.

SusanBuchert and jerrymildred like this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you done the recall on the intermediate steering shaft?

WilDavis and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point! I forgot about that.

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice video! Thanks for sharing! (…shame about the sound-track, though - Chipmunks? "OK, Simon? (OK!) OK, Theodore? (OK!) OK, Alvin? (…) OK, Alvin? (……) ALVIN!!!!!! (……OK!!!!)" ;)

8. SusanBuchert

SusanBuchert New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The video's description sounds exactly like what happened, but I'm a bit worried about the "worst case" possibility. THe sound I heard definitely seemed to be coming from the steering column itself. But given the location of the box in the video, the sound could have been coming from there as well.

I don't remember getting a recall notice for the steering, but I went through a couple of less-than-organized years, so the postcard might have arrived and I didn't receive it. How could I determine if this is a possibility? My car fits between two of those year/model specifications - it is a generation 2, but it is a 2006. Purchased in August of 2006.

I have seen posts about getting the codes by pressing various buttons and flashing lights, but my car doesn't have the "info" button mentioned to do this. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

"First check the 50A EPS fusible link in the junction block." - where might I find this?

THanks for the info .

-Susan

9. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sign onto Toyota's website with your VIN to check status of recalls. But if the shaft failed, you'd have no steering control at all so I don't think that's it.

You won't be able to get steering system DTCs (diagnostic test codes) from the display. You need an OBD-II scanner.

The fusible link should be checked by an automotive electrician with proper knowledge, wiring diagrams and tools. This should be part of any diagnostic.

10. SusanBuchert

SusanBuchert New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fusible link should be checked by an automotive electrician with proper knowledge, wiring diagrams and tools. This should be part of any diagnostic.[/QUOTE]

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many miles on her?

12. SusanBuchert

SusanBuchert New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No open recalls- just checked.

Still stymied about the junction block. The 500 page online manual was more full of flow charts than detailed images of what I'm looking for. In the right rear trunk, I only see a battery. But maybe it is part of the plastic box on top of this "battery"?

13. SusanBuchert

SusanBuchert New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you'd have a whole lot more stuff not working if it was the fusible link, but here's a thread on that.
    07 fuse box separation for replacing fusible link | PriusChat

As has been mentioned, you need a code scanner that reads Prius codes. Otherwise, you're odds of finding the problem are about like winning the lottery ... a dozen times.

Thanks! Yeah, the sound was pretty awful. And what a SLOW video. I'm glad I didn't make that one. But it got the job done. :D

15. SusanBuchert

SusanBuchert New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The video was REALLY helpful. I am currently checking out parts prices. I think I'm going to end up doing an attempt at repair myself. Only $24 shipped for the used steering module. Worth trying that before paying thousands.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions :) .

16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not buy parts till you know which part is bad. Are you sure that sound you heard is enough of an indicator?

17. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Note that the guy in the video had a diagnostic code verifying the module failed before he replaced the module.

The lottery analogy is a good one.

The EPS fusible link is in the main junction/fuse/relay block in the engine room. It's one of many links in "Unit A" in the block. If the link is blown, it would point toward a failed motor, and away from a failed control module. Replacing the link without testing the motor is not a good idea.

18. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if its so hard to steer you can barely turn the wheel, better just get it towed to a shop or dealer you trust. let them diagnose it, and then you can determine if and how you want to get it fixed.

bisco likes this.
  19. SusanBuchert

SusanBuchert New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured out how to get the codes by holding a button and flashing the lights three times. Like magic, a new screen popped up.

The weird thing, is that it is showing problems in my audio system. Nothing, according to the code "decoder" I found online, about the power steering. Sure enough, I tried the radio, and it won't come on.

SO now I have at least 2 problems. I had hoped that this just meant a fuse needed replacing. Honestly, the audio can wait. But I need steering.

I cleared the codes and tried again. The responses I am getting do not seem to be consistant. Sometimes it says to check LAN (what is that?) and sometimes it doesn't.

Any insights?

-Susan

20. SusanBuchert

SusanBuchert New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curiouser and curiouser...I took my camera out to photograph the numerous errors. As I mentioned above, I could clear the screen and run the diagnostic again, and get different responses. So...I cleared everything, and was about to turn off the car when I rested my hand on the steering wheel, and it turned freely. I went to the radio, and was able to turn it on.

Now I am baffled. What is going on? Did the bump knock a wire loose? Is this temperature related? TOday was our first warm day - well into the 80s, but it is cooling off now.

I don't know if I should try to drive this to school tomorrow or not.