1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by wbs103, Mar 21, 2023.

Tags:
  1. wbs103

wbs103 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a slight clunk coming from the steering column. The noise is specifically coming from underneath the floorboards. It sounds like a bolt is slightly loose on the steering column. All of the bolts that I can reach are tight.

Before I dive in, what should I be looking for when I jack up the car? Any obvious things I can check off?

2. Nikitych

Nikitych New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi

Is you found the problem? I have the similar problem with my Pruis

3. Gourockian

Gourockian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have someone hold the steering wheel tightly, preferably from the passenger seat while you hold the intermediate shaft (which goes down to the floor). Try twisting it by hand to check if there is any play or movement. The top and bottom universal joints eventually wear to the point where they'll produce a clunking sound similar to what is described. Fortunately, it is a fairly easy job to replace the whole shaft and there are quite a few videos on YT to show how it's done.