1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steering rack removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oil_burner, Mar 9, 2019.

1. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i need some help dropping my steering rack. Can the 4 bolts of the rack be removed and then the subframe cross member be lowered leaving the rack hanging by the steering column? Or would the intermediate shaft slip off? the steering wheel is already locked.

I am trying to disconnect the steering column underneath the car but can't reach my hand in to pull back the rubber boot. So I would have an easier time dropping the cross member first.

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I know you can lower the sub frame to get access to the steering rack. I've don't that for sway bar upgrade and passenger control arm replacement.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't unhook the steering from under the car do it from under the steering wheel using a 10 mm socket on the 2 nuts remove the plastic cover use a 12 mm socket to remove the bolt from the steering shaft and presto do the same reconnecting from the inside of the car..... Also marj your steering wheel with a piece of tape and your dash for realignment

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tie off the steering wheel so it can’t move don’t let it free wheel it will destroy the steering wheel clockspring.

Sharnold likes this.
  5. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur do not free spin the wheel