1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Ratio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by energyandair, Aug 6, 2009.

1. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My understanding is that:
    • The US 17" wheel model has a steering ratio of 2.75, a brushless motor and a turning circle of 36 ft
    • All 15" wheel models currently have a steering ration of 3.75 and a turning circle of 34.2 ft
    • All 15" wheel models will be changing to the same steering as the US 17" wheel models
    My questions are:
    • Is this change happening?
    • If so
      • when? (I thought I read a Prius Team post that it was this fall but I can no longer find that post)
      • will they also have the larger turning circle?
      • will it be the same in Canada?
    • Do the current Canadian 17" wheel models (Touring package) have the same steering as the US models? (I could not find any information on a different ratio or turning circle on the Toyota Canada website)
    David

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  3. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    read closely. the 15" does NOT get the same steering ratio as the 17". It states that the steering of the 17" is more tight "tuned" than the 15". That means that the road feel on the 15" will be more like 17"... that's all.

4. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Lock to lock is what I mean't but my impression is that many people call this steering ratio. I believe that the actual response as you turn the steering wheel is variable depending on how far off centre you are and with electrical steering, they may also introduce other factors.

I looked at that post again yesterday and I agree that it does not match what I believe I read somewhere about all Prius's having the same steering starting some time in the fall. I think that others may have the same impression and I would like to confirm exactly what to expect. Its possible that there is a post somewhere but I didn't find it, it was in a post that has since been deleted or edited, or I misread something and had a false impression.

David

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not on the Prius as far as I know. This is what's known as variable steering ratio, and is available on many high end and sports cars--but it's not cheap, so I doubt it's on the Prius.

6. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's a bit more info:

1 person likes this.
  7. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks, that clears things up somewhat. With no change in turns lock to lock, this does not sound as though it will make a lot of difference. I'll take a test ride and concentrate on steering feel. If they have a test car with the touring package, I'll also check it out.
    David

8. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone have any updates on this? It would be nice if the was slightly more steering assist for the 15" models in NA. I find it bothersome that it takes more arm movement to turn the car than my previous one. I don't mind strong-arming it, but the fact I have to move it so much to turn is what I don't like.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Last I heard, they've elected not to implement the change to the EPS system for the 15" wheel Prius.