1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering sticks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by valde3, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After driving long distance without turning steering starts to “stick”. Kind of feels like a detent on an old radio dial. So I have to use more force to get the steering to turn. When you apply enough force to get it unstuck it will let go and you of course turn more than you wanted to. Problem is the same on bough directions.

When the problem started it only happened at very cold temperatures after something like 80km or 50 miles of driving without turning much. Now the problem happens even at 10c or 50F and only after 50km or 30 miles. So the problem is getting worse.

I have done the wheel alignment and checked and lubricated the steering shaft u-joints.

Has anybody experienced this problem?

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The front strut bearing at the top of the strut tower, had a similar issue just not as severe. When did you last changed your suspension components?

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Did you have the steering column recall done?

JeffD

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It could be a bad strut bearing but why would it only act up after driving long distance without turning in (relatively) cold temperature? And if I lift the front end up and turn the steering from a tire I don’t fell the problem at all (but of course this test isn’t done after long straight drive).

Did yours only act up after straight drive or all the time? More in cold weather?

Yes it was done with the previous owner. And wouldn’t it just make the steering lose and clunky (before failing totally)?

5. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I can't attest to it happening during cold weather as it started happening during warmer weather (Houston, Tx.). I noticed it when I was trying to steer through a sweeping turn, where you would have to make a minute adjustment to the steering. It was subtle at first then it became more noticeable over time where I would have to sort of jerk it a little to get it unstuck. It was annoying then it became a potential hazard.

I didn't know it was the strut bearing, but the changing out of the front suspension components relieved me of the issue. I stumbled on it by chance, I decided to replace all the parts in the upper strut because I would have everything off the vehicle and I didn't want to take it apart again afterward if something else went out.

So, that's what helped me out. Good luck.

2006 Gen 2
    2014 Gen 3 v wagon

valde3 and SFO like this.