1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel Buttons / Controls

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ahsen Pervez, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Ahsen Pervez

Ahsen Pervez New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Prius Gen II. I am driving it for last 1 year. Never noticed before that my Air-Circulation (Fresh air) Control and De-fogger Controls (All three are in one small dial) are not working. I can control these functions through MFD though.

Please advise.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds like the "clock spring", which contains the coiled wires inside the steering wheel, has broken strands. It happens, especially if the steering column recall was done, and the service tech allowed the steering wheel to turn too far.
    New Prius Clockspring Part# 84306-0E010 | PriusChat

3. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Digging this up- is there any fix for this, or is this a part that can be reasonably simply replaced? Mine has this same issue and I'd like to be able to get it working again.

4. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The clockspring replacement is a simple straight forward task. You need a screwdriver and a steering wheel puller. My 05 started having the same problems as the OP where the buttons on the steering wheel would not function and would do strange things like control functions they weren't supposed to control. I opted to buy the china made cable from ebay because the OEM cable only lasted for 5 years so how much worse could an aftermarket cable be. Only issue with the china cable was that the pins in the connector needed to be tweaked slightly to get the harness to plug in properly. So far after 6 months the china cable is working great.

5. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to find someone selling an OEM clockspring fairly cheaply and have it on the way to me now- I'll likely be replacing it when I have the battery disconnected to do the brakes.