1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel cleaning tips - looking for cleaner w/ protectant

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nivekonbass, Nov 5, 2022.

1. nivekonbass

nivekonbass Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys,

i have a 2013 prius that I use for work. My steering wheel is in pretty good shape currently but it is starting to peel a little bit. was looking for a good cleaner w/ protectant for this. normally this isn't a difficult question but since this steering wheel is some sort of weird rubber i don't want to buy the wrong shite.

anybody have any tips on how to clean this and/or what this steering wheel is actually made out of?

PS. yes i know i can buy a wheel cover but i want to avoid doing so for as long as i can. when it comes to that, it'll be a wheelskin cover

2. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The steering wheel is sheathed in some kinda softex? They've been prone to peel, in 4th gen though. Maybe same issue? I don't think there's a protectant that's gonna slow that process, or reverse it. Maybe a cover?

What's the miles?

4. nivekonbass

nivekonbass Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ended up going with a similar product except it was Jay Lenos garage brand. I actually really like how it turned out.

when I first got the car I cleaned the wheel with mr clean magic eraser and soapy water. Basically very lightly wet sanded it. It left it very grippy and dry.

When I used the jay leno product on my steering wheel (and interior) it left it smooth like you would want it to be. Natural shine. Not matte, not shiny. Kind of like the shine you’d expect when buying a new car. Really happy with it. One of the better cleaners I’ve used and I’ve tried most of the big names. Figured I’d share. I’ll definitely give that one you recommended a try next time.

5. nivekonbass

nivekonbass Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now I’m at 94k miles. This is what was happening before cleaning it again (see image). I think it was just really dry and maybe my hands got sweaty or something. It’s only “peeling” from one area of the wheel.

I wonder if there’s a fix for the part that’s shedding. the thing is I have no freakin clue about the material, when I cleaned it with magic eraser it dried it up and ends up being very grippy like a sticky rubber. That’s why I was thinking it was rubber but I still don’t know for sure.

Attached Files: