1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel click / vibration at higher speeds.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Verbank, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Verbank

Verbank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Recently purchased a 2005 with 140k on it. Thus far only having to change the 12v battery and some preventive maintenance. The og owner put new tires on a few months ago as well, a nice added bonus.

The only issue I have is a fairly loud clicking along with steering wheel vibration. The clicking sounds like its coming somewhere from within the dash. The wheel will vibrate along with this clicking. It doesn't feel like it has any control of the drive train - but is very distracting and seems like something is loose and/or breaking.

Oddly enough, this will only happen at 65+ mph and only while driving straight. If I turn or the Hwy bends a bit - the vibration and clicking stop.

According to Toyota, this VIN already had the steering box replaced via recall.

Any advice or information would be great. Attempting to DIY most issues vs dealer if possible.

Thank you !

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bad wheel bearings? I'm sure others will chime in soon.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would first check the balance of the tires, make sure they are all balanced.

I have 3 2005 prius and they all seem to have strange clicking noises, my 2006 and 2008 cars never had these sounds. I think there could be issues with the intermediate shaft. Toyota techs checked mine and said it was normal.....Oh well

4. Verbank

Verbank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bearings and balance are good. I will more then likely have to take apart the dash and "wiggle" a few of the components around hoping to find something loose.

5. Kthi

Kthi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A year and a half later here, but recently got Gen 2 2009 with 110k, recall performed Feb 2013, put less than a 1000mi on and clicking like keys hitting dash. Bringing into dealer added metal to metal clinking driving at 45 ish in straight line. 138 for diagnosis to be applied to repair if required. Broken part, steering dampner, was loose bouncing around, looked sheared. Part was not a safety issue, service advisor gave me a choice, replace steering wheel/column, not airbag, for 975 or reassemble without dampner and all should be okay.
    Of course, I said let's just reassemble then. Cost 138.