1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel clicking noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Terrell, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    About a year ago, I noticed that turning the steering wheel from lock to lock at slow speeds (like going up my driveway), caused a clicking noise several times while turning.

I took it to the dealer, and they said there was a problem in the universal joint of the steering shaft, and they replaced the steering shaft.

Now, a little more than a year later, the clicking noise has returned. It clicks three times when turning to the right, and maybe once or twice when turning to the left. I took it to the dealer, and they said the intermediate steering shaft boot was not installed correctly, was hitting as the wheel was turned, so they re-installed the boot correctly.

The clicking noise did not go away, so I took it back. This time they said they found a bolt for the intermediate shaft was loose, so replaced the bolt with a new one and checked the torque on the other two bolts for the intermediate shaft, found they were ok.

So far, the dealer has not charged me for any of this work, allowing Toyota Extra Care to cover it, except the last time the dealer absorbed the cost as "Goodwill."

The clicking noise is still there, but it's not as loud as it was before. Shall I monitor it, and wait to go back to the dealer when it gets worse?

2. Uberfast

Uberfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm experiencing the same issue. But I don't have the warranty anymore

3. priusdriver76

priusdriver76 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had the same issue with my Prius. Lucky I had extended warranty. Dealer replaced abs accumulator, then master cylinder without fixing the noise. Noise was gane after replacement of driver side drive shaft.