1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel cover

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by 2sk21, Feb 27, 2012.

1. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  2. El_Spectre

El_Spectre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The size that fits the Gen 3 (aka 2010+) fits the v.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lynusann

Lynusann New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you end up buying this cover? I'd like to see what it looks like on an actual v's steering wheel.

4. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a heated steering wheel cover for my Neon from Menards. I LOVE IT...feels like suade (SP?)!

5. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How is the cover powered. That sounds heavenly when it's in the single digits. W

6. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  7. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That would look awesome but I'm not removing my steering wheel and waiting for it to come back. Lets see if someone else will do it. :)

I ordered the two-tone perforated one from the PriusChat store.

8. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  9. Mrwong

Mrwong New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also a nice piano black one on ebay for $350 shipped.

10. Rh0

Rh0 Junior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has anybody done a successful install of a Wheelskin (or other brand) cover on the Prius v? On Gen III threads, there are some photos, but the install has problems due to the flattened part of the steering wheel at the bottom. I haven't seen a photo of a really good install for Gen III or v model steering wheels. The Gen II steering wheel looks more rounded and there are photos of good installs on those.

Can we get Wheelskin to customize their product to get a better fit? I am surprised that it doesn't seemed to have happened yet. In particular, the PC shop carries Wheelskin, so we should have some "pull" with them to make the fit better, right?

11. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just installed a Wheelskins cover. I ordered the EuroPerf in two tone. Grey top/bottom and Charcoal sides. Order placed on 22 April and pleasantly surprised to have received it today on 25 April. Of course I had to install today as well.

Overall I am pleased with the product. Feels much nicer now. Havent driven with it yet so I cant comment on til tomorrow. Install took longer than I thought it would. Instructions indicate it should take about an hour but it took me about two hours since a couple of times I had to go back since I misaligned a stitch. The fit of the cover is tight overall except in the areas around the spokes of the wheel but that was expected. As you get to the end, it bunches some but its hard to tell when complete. Comes with cover, thread, and needle.

Install tips: . I started on the bottom and stitched clockwise. Recommend you do this in good light. I used one of those lights you can strap around your head because it makes it much easier to see the rear holes you have to stitch through. I also eventually had to put tape around my pinky finger since you have to constantly tighten each stitch and the thread began to cut into the side of my pinky. The only tricky parts are around the spokes where you have to decide how close you can get the full stitch before you start the "dummy" stitches and then go back to the full stitch. Again, it took me longer than I thought it would but you might be faster than I was.

Attached Files:

12. Rh0

Rh0 Junior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sweet! The nicest install I've seen on the new steering wheel shape! :rockon:

Good advice about starting from the bottom. That seems to be where the bunching occurs in other install pictures in the forums.

13. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Rh0! I have a carbon fiber dash kit coming soon and I just realized I may have to trim the steering wheel pieces to get them on the silver area since the cover is over part of it. Probably should have waited before I installed it.

14. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Very nice Mac! I'm not sure I have the patience for this sort of thing. I get frustrated with a button. This is on my must fix list but will likely have a shop do it for my sanity. W

15. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As they say in The Waterboy, "You can do it". Not hard, just took some time and just think of the satisfaction you will have knowing you accomplished something. :)