1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel extender

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Mike N, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Has anybody toyed with the idea of a steering wheel extender. Moving the wheel out 2 or 3 inches would make the car so much more comfortable. It would allow the driver to move the seat back a couple of notches, for more leg and knee room, and not have to stretch to reach the wheel. Some kind of spline adapter, male on one side and female on the other should not be too difficult to fabricate. My only worry is about all of the buttons on the steering wheel. How do they connect to the rest of the car? How long are the wires? Is there enough slack to allow them to reach another couple of inches? Has anybody had their steering wheel off or done this kind of work?

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ummm, my seat is already all the way back so I can work the pedals. And I've learned to duck my legs under the can't-raise-it-as-high-as-I'd-like steering wheel while wondering if *that* could be fixed...

3. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

If you are wanting to extend the wheel, you will probably be wanting to get the dealership to take care of the work. For something as important as the steering column, it would be better if they screwed something up rather then you. ;)

As for the button connections, I am not sure how much wire is there but my assumption is that there is not a lot of slack. Maybe there is *just* enough to do what you want. But nothing is stopping you from snipping a wire and splicing an extra 2-3 inches in... which is another reason why the dealership is probably a better idea.