1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel jolt when powering on hybrid system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dan.j.allen, Sep 7, 2007.

1. dan.j.allen

dan.j.allen New Member

I would like to post a follow-up to this problem for future reference and to help others if they find themselves encountering a similar problem.

The following morning after making the posts on this site, I attempted to drive the car to the dealership when the steering all of a sudden stopped working. The Prius was reporting a major system failure in the steering, indicated by the triangle symbol and a message on the information screen. The car had to be towed (always a fun experience at the 500 mile mark).

The ticket indicates that there was a "broken fusible link" and that the power steering ECU had completely failed. To replace this part, it had to be shipped from Japan to the United States.

Here are the part numbers:
    89650-47102 COMPUTER ASSY, PO
    82620-47050 BLOCK ASSY. FUSIB

I cannot say that I am completely convinced that everything is working correctly in the steering. Let me ask this question:

If you drive around the neighborhood using only the electric motor and no radio, how much noise should you hear in the the steering? To me, it sounds a little "sandy" and occasionally I will hear what almost sounds like a mechanical arm moving (just like the sound you would make if you were pretending to be a robot).

2. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Allen @ Sep 26 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]517929[/snapback]</div>
    While gliding without the ICE, you should hear no continuous noise unless you have the AC on, if its hot you might barely hear the traction battery cooling fan. You will hear all the periodic wierd noises that come on for a few seconds and then turn off. I would be skeptical of it actually being fixed. If a fuse blows, lots of times there is a reason it blows and the dealer might have fixed the result and not the cause. However, any reputable dealer would test drive the car before giving it back and they should know what to listen for.

3. dan.j.allen

dan.j.allen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Sep 26 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]518012[/snapback]</div>
    Darn, that's not what and wanted to hear (but wanted to hear at the same time, because it is what I need to know). I am beginning to STRONGLY question the reputation of this dealership. Hell, I am not questioning, I've decided that I don't trust them.

One good thing going for me is that in Maryland, if the steering goes and they fail to fix it the first time, it immediately qualifies as a Lemon. No second chances in Maryland. So if they did rush it out the door, it only hurts them, not me.

What I am wondering is if I should go to a highly respected service shop that works on Prius vehicles (perhaps another dealer) and just have them do an assessment of whether it is in good working order. If they say there is absolutely nothing wrong, the only thing I can do is wait. Unfortunately, I don't have a trained ear...I have only had the thing for like 2 weeks in my possession. Everything sounds new to me.

In short, my question is, should I get a second opinion to determine if it is really fixed? And if so, what business type is recommended (dealer, certified shop, other)?