1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel leather cover question

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Eric "v", Jan 21, 2015.

1. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd like to put a leather cover on my v's steering wheel and hide the cover's joined stitching.

To do this I want to remove the two vertical satin metal finished "spokes", lace on the cover and place the seam under one of the vertical "spokes" (or cut a separate piece of the cover to go between the spokes and toss the seam).

Where can I find how to remove the vertical "spokes"?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    From Toyota parts department printouts I see that I have to remove the airbag center section then one screw for each cover to remove the spoke covers.

I think the center air bag cover pops off and back on. Still checking on that. If so my problem is solved.

To get the leather to fit in the steering wheel grooves where the spoke covers go I'll widen the groves by a total of 1/8" VERY carefully with a file. This should permit the spoke covers to go back on with a proper fit. A Dremel tool would be too difficult to control well. I'll cut a separate bottom center leather section from the cover so the cover stitch joint will end up being discarded.

Also I'll use a V-shaped "baseball stitch" on the wheel with two needles. This will give it a more custom look.
    I plan to use blue lacing cord to match the blue stitching I'll get on my seat covers. Seat covers and wheel cover will both be a charcoal gray.

Bigboi likes this.
  4. Bigboi

Bigboi Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    How did it turn out because I want to stitch on a leather steering wheel cover and stuff it under the silver spokes too!!