1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel Lock/The Club/ETC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by unit333, Jan 10, 2010.

1. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey
    I wanted to get a steering wheel lock. I know it could be broken easily and stuff but its mostly for the kid "thieves" really.
    Any recommendations. I kind of wanna get something that has rubber on it so it doesn't scratch the steering wheel...or maybe a good fake one?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Without the fob the car won't move. Either the car is going to be stolen by dragging it away or vandalized & the stuff inside stolen. If you are buying a club so you can leave the car on & locked while running a quick errand then I wouldn't leave the car on while running a quick errand.

3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't waste your money really on the club...Pretty hard to steal...be better off to get some Security Stickers and put them on the window(s).

As JimN stated, the car ain't going no where unless towed.

So much for a club in that case but then we wouldn't be talking the "Kid Thiefs".

Get the stickers and with the flashing light on the dash...you should be set...

4. cstone47

cstone47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a Club from my old car that I used when I went back to the old neighborhood. Tried putting it on my Prius just to see if it fit. Couldn't get it to fit at an angle that would do any good.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My recommendation is to not waste your money. Any sort of "Club" type of lock will not make the car any harder to steal. With or without it, to steal a Prius you need to drag it onto a flatbed.

Tom

6. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, unless the rumours for the chip encription being easy to brake are true?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They aren't. The Internet is full of groundless rumors.

On the one hand, you state that you are mostly interested in protecting your car against marauding kids. Next, you state a concern about a theoretical attack involving highly sophisticated techniques and very expensive laboratory equipment. Do you seriously think anyone with the technical savvy to override the immobilizer is going to be slowed down by a Club? Even the thought is preposterous. Besides, it's much easier and cheaper to drag a Prius onto a flatbed.

Tom

8. wwbarr

wwbarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you want a serious physical visual steering wheel theft deterrent, take a look at disklok.com as an alternative to the many variants of the TheClub. Of course vehicle alarms (that are not ignored) also deter car theft but in a different way.

The disklok is very bulky and a bit awkward to attach and detach. It is expensive compared to the TheClub and the many copy cats but if you want the protection it offers it easily outclasses any of TheClubs.

Nonetheless, if you want to deter theft of the air bag or want to visually deter the casual car thief who doesn't know that you can't hotwire a smartkey equipped Prius then take a serious look at this device.

As well, once the disklok is locked, it does rotate freely until the protection bar that sticks out runs into the windshield, center dashboard/console, or door / driver's side window. No cause for concern though since it is designed to do this to make it more difficult to stabilize the disklok when one tries to physically cut, hammer, chip, or pry it open.

Note that if a thief really wants your Prius, under the right circumstances, any Prius can be towed away on a flatbed truck.