1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by adonturia, Mar 30, 2015.

1. adonturia

adonturia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I write from Spain using the google translator, apologies if I can not understand.

I have a prius 2010 with 120000km that I had to replace the steering intermediate shaft.
    What happens is that it does not work a noise that occurs when passing through potholes but ceases to rotate a little direction in either direction.
    Sounds from the steering wheel, steering shaft inside.
    The workshop wants to replace the entire steering for column but its price is very high.
    Can you think of anything? I am very disappointed, the engine is fantastic but the rest of the car, especially adjustments, soundproofing and suspensions, a horror.
    Definitely not a car sufficiently robust for European roads.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this the first breakdown?
    Do you feel if repaired the problem would just manifest again?

I think The Prius suspension is designed to be robust enough to be used in most "normal" environments. But it's not an off road or SUV vehicle. I would say there is nothing in the Prius suspension that makes it abnormally weaker than many vehicles.

The key to any decision you make would be whether you think you can have it repaired and expect normal durability given your driving environment. Not knowing what roads are like in Spain or how you might be driving those same roads?

The Prius is driven and used in many diverse environments. I don't know if I would necessarily automatically blame "European Roads".

But the proof is in results. If you have repeatedly had to repair the suspension, then perhaps this Prius isn't the right tool for the driving environment and or your driving style.

In short? I don't know. But a broken steering shaft can be repaired, and under "normal" circumstances it's can be expected to be pretty durable.

Good Luck.

3. adonturia

adonturia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for answering.
    I understand your position, but as he explains the breakdown of over 2000 dollars on a car with normal use.
    I have had sports cars with suspensions as rocks and never as catastrophic failure direction.
    My routes are not especially hard, and I tire 15.
    There are many cases of problems with this vehicle steering column ,suspect faulty design of the intermediate shaft which precipitates all the failure.

#3 adonturia, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015