1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel not aligned

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by musical equinox, Aug 5, 2021.

1. musical equinox

musical equinox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello folks -

I've just taken a 2017 Prius v for a test drive. I like the car and I may want to buy it.

There's one thing that's bugging me: when I was driving the car in a straight line in the middle lane on a straight, flat road, the steering wheel was clearly rotated a little way from the standard resting position. Maybe 10º or 15º from where I'd expect it to be. I asked the sales representative about this, and he suggested that maybe it's a problem with the control arms. If it's relevant, the car currently lives at a CarMax dealership, so there'd be a short warranty on it.

I'd like a Prius v, but I don't want to buy a lemon. So...

- Has anybody seen a Prius steering wheel like this before?
    - Does this sound like something to worry about?
    - What do you think might have caused this?
    - Would you walk away from the vehicle?

Many thanks.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The alignment is off. Generally means some steering linkage or suspension damage has occurred. Typically if it such damage repaired, a new alignment would have been done. It could also mean the engine and transaxle has been removed which is often done from below with all the steering arms removed.

There are bigger issues to be concerned about when buying a used gen3 Prius although the 2017 v was the latest and last gen3 in the US. I would want a minimum one year parts and labor warranty. Toyota provides a 5 year or 60k powertrain warranty which might apply depending on when the car was first sold (Aug 2016 or over 60k would be expired).

#2 rjparker, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  3. musical equinox

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. musical equinox

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Update: I bought the car. Took it to my mechanic who said that he thought it was in good condition. Fingers crossed.

5. triplechrome

triplechrome New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wheel probably just needs to be taken off and put back in straight. Someone probably took it off before. Would make sure the air bag is there and current.

musical equinox likes this.
  6. zeng

zeng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As suggested above this is likely a wheel (mis)alignment issue.
    Does the vehicle drifts or veers to one side on straight ahead driving at speed with hands temporarily off the steering wheel?
    If yes, probably toes are out .
    A visit to an alignment shop may be in order.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If everything is mechanicaly sound, no previous damage or misrepair, then the tie rods on both sides could be adjusted an equal amount of turns on the adjusting nuts in opposite directions, which will move the steering wheel to center. The key is to keep the adjustment equal, but opposite on both sides, or alignment will be affected.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. musical equinox

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Update: I had made a maintenance appointment at CarMax today to get the steering looked at. Took the vehicle in this morning.

The technician fixed a broken cupholder for the rear passengers (which was a minor issue that I'd spotted before the purchase) and aligned the wheels. The steering wheel is now centered when the car's going in a straight line. Good times. However, there was a problem with the camber on one of the front wheels even after the alignment, and the technician recommended replacing the struts.

All under warranty.

So far, I've been fairly impressed with the after-sales service CarMax. I'd read that they don't negotiate on price but are open to fixing issues that buyers find before purchase. Four weeks in, they've done exactly what they said they would: ordered the cupholder parts, booked me in, replaced the cupholder, and done the alignment. Then they recommended new struts, ordered the struts, and booked me in to replace them. Again, all under warranty.

Would have been even better if they'd spotted and resolved these issues during the pre-sales inspection and maintenance, but hey.

xliderider likes this.