1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel off center

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ivorz, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi there,
    I have had my prius for about a year now and have 20K miles on it. Ever since I got the car the steering wheel has been off center about 5 degrees to the left.

I have had the alignment checked 2 twice and have also rotated the tires every 5k miles. They are the oem tires. The tires are still in good condition and seem to have worn evenly.

Toyota tell me this is "normal" and and given that the alignment is correct, I don't know what else to try.

Will a new set of tires help this. Perhaps I should have another shop check the alignment (at $80 a pop)

thanks in advance for the help.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell your dealer to fix it, if they use the right equipment they should be able to get it right. Did you ring Toyota? If not then I suggest you do, or try another dealer.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You will also have to properly set Zero Point Calibration if you have the wheel centered. This requires the dealership scantool

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its not normal for the steering wheel to be off center. In fact, the dealer is supposed to check for this and correct it during PDS (pre delivery service)

Attached Files:

5. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    TSB ST003-01 is supposed to address this, but I can't find it online anywyere.

6. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am wondering about tire chain stores like Firestone/Bridgestone, Goodyear, etc. These places do allignments all the time, and offer "lifetime" alignment packages. Does anyone know if any of these shops can do the Zero Point Calibration?

On the original topic: after driving my 2009 for a couple of weeks, I noticed that my steering wheel was off center. Don't really know why it wasn't obvious to me when I first bought the car. Anyway, I told the dealer that the car was not "pulling", but that the steering wheel was off center. They fixed it right the first time.

7. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am probably going to have new tires put on. I think this is the root of all evil with the steering being off center.
    The question I now have is can I get this done at a tire shop or should I only do it at toyota. It seems from what I have read that there is more to aligment on this car than most others in terms of the technology.

8. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

OK// my steering column is pointed 5 degrees to the left/the wheel is level with the ground. I think the prius is designed this way. I will check two other units on the lot this weekend. Also, does it feel like the car if leaning to the left with just the driver? I weigh 174 pounds.

9. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, the car does not feel like it is leaning to the left. I appreciate your help and would love to hear if you find the same with other cars.

I see you are in FL, so am I. I would love to find someone who knows what they are really doing and can diagnose the problem.
    The dealer just seems to want to hurry things along without "servicing" the customer.

10. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have another quick question.
    Is it recommended to have new tires and alignment put on by the dealer of can I use a place like Sears or other discount tire shop.

Is there anything special about replacing the tires/alignment that a discount auto shop would not know.

I would like the alignment redone as I do not think my dealer has done it correctly, on the 2 occasions I have had them check it.

11. jdiazfuentes

jdiazfuentes New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

I recently purchased the a 2009 prius touring and it seems to have the same problem i will be bringing to the dealer soon to have my firt oil change and to see if they can correct this problem...

12. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    3/8 of an inch empty and who knows with a driver but I suspect 3/4 of an inch. It is real distracting to say the least and I will complain but the usual it is in factory specs will be their reply.:mad::mad::mad:
    The steering wheel column in a non fixer for sure as it was designed that way. I am surprised very few people in this forum own up to it unless it is a touring 2009 only. Not.

13. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a tire thread I would read and yes, you can get your tires anywhere. Be advised it may affect your mileage if the new tires are shorter, wider, and have a greater rolling resistance. If you are gun shy go to discounttires.com or tirerack.com and buy the exact OEM and go find a local shop that will install them on your own (don't buy the package deal). Big savings! Or just go to SAMS and get the cheapest tires they have in stock and pump them up to 44psi or higher and hope for the best.
    As for alignment you need to check a local shop that has newer equipment and calibrates their rack once a year.

The rear axle is fixed and requires a full or half contact ring to adjust camber and toe. I have not had a chance to check the front yet but the toe is adjustable and worst case scenario they may need to put alignment bolts in the struts to adjust the camber//no big deal BTW.

OnlineTires.com - Discount Tires, Continental Tires, Hankook, Uniroyal, Nexen, Uniroyal Tires.

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I agree. Mine is centered as delivered. :)

15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Mine is centered as deliverd also. The whole assembly just points 5 degrees towards the drivers window.:mad: No big deal, just wanted someone else to acknowlegde it or it is a fluke.

16. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, check several units on the lot and mine seems to be the only one that is slightly angled towards the drivers window. (Steering column angle not wheel centering)

17. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Also every Prius on the lot is lower in the left front than the right front.

18. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is the 5 degrees measured against the horizon or the dash? I don't think the dash is a good reference.

19. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes there was a thread about this. Apparently some cars are lower on the left.

20. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Standing outside the car and look accross the front surface of the steering wheel on a level plane.
    Also you have a thread link for the lower on left issue?

thanks man,